Meet Ming, my 1973 New Yorker Brougham

I had same rug damage on my wagon, I traced it down to water running down the door seal inside then dripping off dash frame. Wild ride for water to get its way to rug.

I had same rug damage on my wagon, I traced it down to water running down the door seal inside then dripping off dash frame. Wild ride for water to get its way to rug.
That is worth checking. Now, I am not planning on taking Ming in bad weather, but we know that rain can catch the best planners unaware, so that'll be a good thing to check out. Work has been crazy and @71Polara383 is the one who's been enjoying driving Ming: he tells me that she's amazing, I can't wait.

Maybe I'll get a bucket of water and dump it on the passenger side to see if I can find the source.

I've been caught in the rain before and never really noticed wetness or obvious intrusion.

Ming indeed looks quite happy with new bumpers and a li'l freshening up. Plus the added bonus left from Jefferson.

Nice documentation.

Carpet installation was next. I laid the new out in the sun for a while. I also dragged the old stuff over to compare.

View attachment 628296View attachment 628297

Quick test fit in the car showed it was going to fit well. View attachment 628298
View attachment 628299

I focused on getting the heel pad in the correct location and sent photos to some folks to verify it was pretty close to right. That's my biggest pet peeve on carpet installs, if the heel pad is too close to the seat it looks ridiculous.

View attachment 628300View attachment 628301

And back together! Very very minimal trimming was done. This fit very well.View attachment 628303View attachment 628304
Looks great!
I'm assuming this is from ACC, correct? If you dont mind me asking, did you bother with the mass backing and sound dampening from them? Why, or why not?

Looks great!
I'm assuming this is from ACC, correct? If you dont mind me asking, did you bother with the mass backing and sound dampening from them? Why, or why not?
I have looked at that stuff and I think you're better off using something like Dynamat on the floor itself. The "mass backing" is .045" (or 1.1mm in the heathen metric system) and that's not what I would call "mass". It's a thin rubber sheet that I can't see making a lot of difference. There will be jute on the carpet that will help.

I also think that it would be harder to handle and install but I've never used it, so I could be completely wrong.

Here's a link from someone trying to sell you carpet, so take the pluses with a grain of salt. What Is Mass Backing and Is It Worth It? ACC Auto Carpet | Factory Interiors

One way to dampen sound is to stop the vibrations from large metal panels. The Dynamat, or the cheaper and just as good alternative Rammat, sticks down and helps cancel out the vibrations. Of course, none of us are sound engineers, so YMMV.

My '70 has Rammat on the floor and the difference was very noticeable.

vKxZewp.jpg

I have looked at that stuff and I think you're better off using something like Dynamat on the floor itself. The "mass backing" is .045" (or 1.1mm in the heathen metric system) and that's not what I would call "mass". It's a thin rubber sheet that I can't see making a lot of difference. There will be jute on the carpet that will help.

I also think that it would be harder to handle and install but I've never used it, so I could be completely wrong.

Here's a link from someone trying to sell you carpet, so take the pluses with a grain of salt. What Is Mass Backing and Is It Worth It? ACC Auto Carpet | Factory Interiors

One way to dampen sound is to stop the vibrations from large metal panels. The Dynamat, or the cheaper and just as good alternative Rammat, sticks down and helps cancel out the vibrations. Of course, none of us are sound engineers, so YMMV.

My '70 has Rammat on the floor and the difference was very noticeable.

View attachment 628796
Ooohh, it seems I've made a false assumption. When I pulled the factory original carpet out of my Imperial it had a thick jute layer but as I understand now, that's standard on all carpets and the mass backing option is just the 45 mil thick layer in between?

Quick update about Ming, prompted by a discussion with @Lycidias -- Ming was missing an operator's manual booklet, so I got her a NOS glove box set.

s-l1600.jpg

Quick update about Ming, prompted by a discussion with @Lycidias -- Ming was missing an operator's manual booklet, so I got her a NOS glove box set.

View attachment 654660
Looks great. My NOS Operators manual kit did not come with the boats, I received the dealer ordered optional goodies pamphlet and the others that you received.

Back