Mini Tubs for my 65 C-Body Sport Fury Convertible…

MNT65

Reaction score
Hello mopar gearheads! I’m installing a four link suspension in my 65 Fury convertible with 15” wide meats under the rear. Does anyone have a recommendation on which mini tubs to go with for this application?

I don’t know that they make mini tubs for our cars. But a decent fabricator could widen the factory ones! That’s what I’ll be doing on my 65 2 dr sedan.

I don’t know that they make mini tubs for our cars. But a decent fabricator could widen the factory ones! That’s what I’ll be doing on my 65 2 dr sedan.
Thank you sir…I didn’t think about that! Great idea!

Is this for looks or a drag car or both? I just wonder as you want to do this to a convertible.

Last edited:
I appreciate your concern but this car has rust issues and suspension issues just because of age and how she was taken care of before I got her. I’m going through the entire drive train, frame, undercarriage and updating it for safety reasons. This will never be original so I’m RestoMod-ing this beautiful ride. She will be safe for everyone to drive and reliable enough to run across country once I get all these things done. I’m in the process of building a 383 (500+ hp), rebuilt the 727, added a Gear Vendor, 393 gears in the rear, adding Magnum Force front suspension, MF four link rear with power everything to make her solid. This car is my wife and I’s retirement ride for our grand babies and a car I can leave to my sons when we are gone. I really do appreciate your sentiments and respect them a great deal!!

This is what a minitub means.
Push the inside half back to the framerail and make a filler piece for the middle.
Might have to do some work with the trunk springs, supports

G'Day,
Only a Suggestion But,
Why Not take a Few Measurements & Do Some Homework.
I have a 69 "FURY" Sedan. (Dodge Phoenix over here.)
I'm Fitting 15 x 10 Rims, 275 x 65 x 15 Tyres, (With a Bit of "Squiggling" Maybe 295 x 65 x 15)
By Using an Earlier Model Diff, 1.5" Narrower which gives Me Just Enough Clearance.
The Wheel Wells Under Most of the Furys are Pretty Wide.
(Turn the Car Upside Down & Take a Bath in the Wheel Well LOL)
My Suggestion, Put the Car on Ramps and Climb Underneath with a Tape Measure.
This Way You're Checking with the Suspension Compressed.
Check the Inner & Outer Clearances between Tyre & Spring & Tyre & Guards. Inner & Outer.
Then Investigate what's available in the way of Diffs, I have used "B" Body Diffs before now.
( An 8.75" is an 8.75")
Then Do All Your Sums. It May be Much More Cost Effective & a Hell of a Lot Less Work.
OMO !
Regards, Tony.M

I’m installing a four link suspension in my 65 Fury convertible with 15” wide meats under the rear.
I don't think he means 15 inch rims, he wants 15 inch wide meats. Is that correct?
A 275 mm wide tire like you and I have @69PHOENIX in our 69 Furys are 10.8 inches wide. If he does want a 15 inch wide tire or 381mm then tubs of some kind would be needed I would think. I hope he clarifies.

Weren't too many convertible drag cars on account of the piggish weight and inherent flex, nevermind the safety aspect without a cage.

"In 1970, Chrysler's stated weight for the 'Cuda convertible was little different than that of the coupe, an incorrect equality, as convertibles models are more than 100 pounds heavier than similar hardtops, the consignor explains."

I have a 65 Sport Fury convertible that I drag raced extensively. It weighed 3920 lbs ready to go, without driver. I managed to remove about 300 pounds of weight since having it wieghed. This is a big block automatic car. I have run a best of 12.35 in the quarter mile in this car. I had to make my own frame connectors for it as there was considerable flex in the body (no roll bar). Mostly noticable with changing door gaps. I also have had to weld up cracks in the firewall. It's a lot of stress on a convertible. Another thing, at least in my opinion, is what's the point of having all that roll bar tubing on a street driven convertible. It looks goofy when the top is down. However, I would definitely recommend a cage for drag racing a convertible. I have been considering mini tubs on my vert. I measured and there is basically 14 inches to play with between the frame and the fender skirts, maybe another 3/4 inch or so without the skirts. The main reson I haven't mini tubbed my car is having to redo the trunk hinge mounts and braces. That is another can of worms just waiting to be opened.
Jus sayin.....

I have a 65 Sport Fury convertible that I drag raced extensively. It weighed 3920 lbs ready to go, without driver. I managed to remove about 300 pounds of weight since having it wieghed. This is a big block automatic car. I have run a best of 12.35 in the quarter mile in this car. I had to make my own frame connectors for it as there was considerable flex in the body (no roll bar). Mostly noticable with changing door gaps. I also have had to weld up cracks in the firewall. It's a lot of stress on a convertible. Another thing, at least in my opinion, is what's the point of having all that roll bar tubing on a street driven convertible. It looks goofy when the top is down. However, I would definitely recommend a cage for drag racing a convertible. I have been considering mini tubs on my vert. I measured and there is basically 14 inches to play with between the frame and the fender skirts, maybe another 3/4 inch or so without the skirts. The main reson I haven't mini tubbed my car is having to redo the trunk hinge mounts and braces. That is another can of worms just waiting to be opened.
Jus sayin.....
Excellent. Thanks!

G'Day,
Only a Suggestion But,
Why Not take a Few Measurements & Do Some Homework.
I have a 69 "FURY" Sedan. (Dodge Phoenix over here.)
I'm Fitting 15 x 10 Rims, 275 x 65 x 15 Tyres, (With a Bit of "Squiggling" Maybe 295 x 65 x 15)
By Using an Earlier Model Diff, 1.5" Narrower which gives Me Just Enough Clearance.
The Wheel Wells Under Most of the Furys are Pretty Wide.
(Turn the Car Upside Down & Take a Bath in the Wheel Well LOL)
My Suggestion, Put the Car on Ramps and Climb Underneath with a Tape Measure.
This Way You're Checking with the Suspension Compressed.
Check the Inner & Outer Clearances between Tyre & Spring & Tyre & Guards. Inner & Outer.
Then Investigate what's available in the way of Diffs, I have used "B" Body Diffs before now.
( An 8.75" is an 8.75")
Then Do All Your Sums. It May be Much More Cost Effective & a Hell of a Lot Less Work.
OMO !
Regards, Tony.M
Will do sir & thank you for the insight!

I don't think he means 15 inch rims, he wants 15 inch wide meats. Is that correct?
A 275 mm wide tire like you and I have @69PHOENIX in our 69 Furys are 10.8 inches wide. If he does want a 15 inch wide tire or 381mm then tubs of some kind would be needed I would think. I hope he clarifies.
Correct Turboomni, but I'm dialing it down to 12.5" meats in the rear as I investigate more. I plan on running a 20"x12"x5 on 4.5 wheel with 315/35ZR20 tires for the rear. It'll be tight but it should set down nice when all is said and done. The front I plan on running a 20"x8.5"x5 on 4.5 wheel with 235/35ZR20 tires. With the proper offsets, it might work, but it may be a lofty goal at this point. The front is going to be difficult not to rub just because of the sheer size of wheel combo, but I will make sure before I purchase...I'll make a jig that mounts to the disk brake hub (wheel mounting surface) for the front with different offsets to see what I can get away with. If it becomes too much of a hassle with the dimensions I have now, I will rethink it and come back with a better plan! I will keep y'all informed as this project progresses...

Excellent. Thanks!
The more I dive into the structure of the vehicle, I am leaning more to a lesser of a tire width and size. I'm glad I have y'all to bounce ideas off of because this is my first Mopar. I willl be sizing down to an 18" wheel and with a 275/40ZR18 tire for the rear and a 215/40ZR18 for the front. As long as I have the offsets correct, it will still work with disk brake set up with very little to no alterations to the tubs or front wheel wells. I appreciates everyone's input on this!

Back