Misty eye's

i_taz

Reaction score
Hey all, I first notice antifreeze steam coming out of my vents one day the moment the A/C was turned on in a '77 New Yorker...
Seemed odd to me but the first thing that I thought of was the evaporator coil but I guess it has to be the heater core. Looking at the factory FSM there side by side but should I assume the air passes over both...?

If the fog happened just as the defroster was turned on, it might have been a bit of "high humidity" collected in the hvac box. If it happened and was gone a second later. Otherwise . . .

Heater core. There should also be a hot coolant smell and a somewhat slimy film on the inside of the windshield, too. The a/c gas will not look like steam.

Hey all, I first notice antifreeze steam coming out of my vents one day the moment the A/C was turned on in a '77 New Yorker...
Seemed odd to me but the first thing that I thought of was the evaporator coil but I guess it has to be the heater core. Looking at the factory FSM there side by side but should I assume the air passes over both...?
If it is Auto Temp II especially...on that system the air flows over both the heater core and the evaporator and is continually heated/ cooled as needed by the system depending on the temp you set.

Yes the air passes over both, the system modulates temperature through a blend air door.
In addition, evaporator doesn't have antifreeze in it, so yeah, it's the heater core

I could smell it and it's holding a charge but no, it's not a Auto Temp....
Thought the Bars leak tablets took care of it but really haven't driven
it much with winter set in...

The original evaporator was changed many moons ago although I still have
it and it looks great. Probably could get that fixed. I'm sure the heater won't
look as good and there kinda hard to find, apparently. Rockauto's sold out
Still have to bleed the A/C down and go in thru the wheel well...?

Thnx,
Jack

Last edited:
Back