My Old 72 New Yorker 4dr Sedan (RIP)

SGVert

Reaction score
Bought this in April 2003 to use as a daily driver and car that I could “tinker” with while I had my 68 Sportsgrain Newport Convertible in for restoration.

Added dual exhaust, Edelbrock 750 carb, etc. and drove it for a few months without issue. The next year the gremlins started showing up.
1) Original A/C compressor locked up and broke the belt, had to be towed to repair shop
2) Was driving it up to show in Belvidere, got to the toll booth on I-90 by Elgin and the car died in the booth. Could not restart, had to get pushed to side of road and towed to repair shop.
Turned out to be an alternator.
3) Had no dash lights, tore speedometer panel out, had to install additional ground wires to make them work. (No tow required )
4) The next spring drove to a park to go running. Upon returning to car, no crank/start, had to get towed home. Could not identify problem and after leaving it sit for a few months, I sold it to @furious70 so he could do as he wished with the car. He can chime in here with the rest of its history.

It did have a really low mile 440 (amount 50,000 miles) that ran great when you could get it started. It also had started to rust badly in the front fenders and rear quarters. I paid $2100 for the car, put well over $2500 into in a year and a half in parts, repairs and tows. Sold it for $500... not my best investment. My wife was very happy to see it go

To finish out it’s documentation, I’m attaching the original window sticker (some areas not readable) and a build sheet I found.
Enjoy!

A6E7383C-AB56-4D4B-8740-9E3A0F1B2F87.jpeg

A2E742D9-D152-48C5-8C02-83280C1A1796.jpeg

9A88579C-87A7-4A86-B2CE-ED7607FD1EAB.jpeg

Bought this in April 2003 to use as a daily driver and car that I could “tinker” with while I had my 68 Sportsgrain Newport Convertible in for restoration.

Added dual exhaust, Edelbrock 750 carb, etc. and drove it for a few months without issue. The next year the gremlins started showing up.
1) Original A/C compressor locked up and broke the belt, had to be towed to repair shop
2) Was driving it up to show in Belvidere, got to the toll booth on I-90 by Elgin and the car died in the booth. Could not restart, had to get pushed to side of road and towed to repair shop.
Turned out to be an alternator.
3) Had no dash lights, tore speedometer panel out, had to install additional ground wires to make them work. (No tow required )
4) The next spring drove to a park to go running. Upon returning to car, no crank/start, had to get towed home. Could not identify problem and after leaving it sit for a few months, I sold it to @furious70 so he could do as he wished with the car. He can chime in here with the rest of its history.

It did have a really low mile 440 (amount 50,000 miles) that ran great when you could get it started. It also had started to rust badly in the front fenders and rear quarters. I paid $2100 for the car, put well over $2500 into in a year and a half in parts, repairs and tows. Sold it for $500... not my best investment. My wife was very happy to see it go

To finish out it’s documentation, I’m attaching the original window sticker (some areas not readable) and a build sheet I found.
Enjoy!

View attachment 441670

View attachment 441671

View attachment 441672
That build sheet is about in the best condition I have ever seen.

I actually don't remember where the body went, strangely enough. It's a cube at this point somewhere. The 440/727 is sitting in the shop still waiting to go into the red 72 RR clone in my profile.
The ac clutch off that car did go into my fury for a time before I converted to sanden.
I do still have the cruise control column. I tried to sell the power bench setup for a long time with no takers. I think I have the radiator too

I also have the dress up pedals, which hand been for sale on here

Nice looking car! Hate to hear of the issues with it.

Not sure if it might be the age, but it seemed like the multi-colored build sheets held up better than the earlier ones. Some of the later ones had all of the option codes on the backside of them, which I thought was very neat.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Nice looking car! Hate to hear of the issues with it.

Not sure if it might be the age, but it seemed like the multi-colored build sheets held up better than the earlier ones. Some of the later ones had all of the option codes on the backside of them, which I thought was very neat.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

It really was a 20 footer with a pretty bad repaint that someone had done.

The guy I bought it from had passed along the documentation he had put together. Looking at the sales price, it was a pretty expensive car at $6138.

Back