need a simple answer, kick down linkage spring.

jct

Reaction score
68 newpo 383 2bbl auto

since mine is missing, never came with the car when i bought it...

what length is the spring? that i need to look for...

aww crap. I forgot to take the pic yesterday. If it's not raining when I get home, ill do it today....

I'd buy the repop red spring listed in the year-one link (or better yet, someplace that doesn't hang you for shipping) and be done with it.

Yea... I know... It's just a light spring that holds the trans linkage against the carb linkage. Just about any light spring would work OK. My thoughts are the spring tension was chosen to allow the throttle to close and the trans linkage to stay open or return slower.

IMHO, since the linkage controls the line pressure that operates the other functions of the transmission, it's good practice to keep everything functioning the way it was intended. Small details like adjustments make or break a good running car and while this spring tension may not be real critical, it is part of the operation. It's a cheap $10 and if nothing else, it looks "correct".

AutoZone has in the HELP! section a universal return spring assortment pack
where the springs in the pack work perfectly with our old Mopars.

AutoZone has in the HELP! section a universal return spring assortment pack
where the springs in the pack work perfectly with our old Mopars.
I think those are perfect for a throttle spring, but a little too stiff for the trans linkage. Just my opinion, YMMV.

fixed one small problem and a bigger problem shows up

looks like i'll have to adjust the shifter linkage by the transmission, it's not wanting to go into park and doesn't want to start from that, until i start it from neutral. pretty scary when the car rolls back when you think your car is in park..... >_< @_@

Back