Need help from any Thermo-Quad gurus

My70monaco

Reaction score
I am desparately looking for idle mixer screws for a 1978 440 motorhome TQ model # 9151S. They are approximately 1.5 inches long with a hollow center the entire length. See attached photos. Thanks Thermo-Quad Idle Mixture Screw 3.jpgThermo-Quad Idle Mixture Screw 2.jpgThermo-Quad Idle Mixture Screw.jpg

Thermo-Quad Idle Mixture Screw 3.jpg

Thermo-Quad Idle Mixture Screw 2.jpg

Thermo-Quad Idle Mixture Screw.jpg

Hello Frank....been a long time. you have been a member four years and only 17 posts..... Thats too bad for the board, you have some good insight to share. I am certain you will get some help here from some of the Guys on the T quad.

How is the car doing? Family? Health?

Please, dont stay a stranger

I'm almost sure I've got them but how fast do you need them, Frank.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Hi Dave
All is well on the home front. I am putting a '78 440 in my car... finally .. after life getting in the way for a couple of years .. while rebuilding the TQ carb, one of those weird idle mixer screws broke during removal. Hope to be on the road by spring and make Moparfest in August.
How are things with you and yours?

Ups and downs Frank, ups and downs. You and I go back about fourteen, fifteen years and back then it was probably more extreme ups and downs, now things are better than they were but you know what I mean.

So you arent building this engine, it was one that was available, correct? The Monaco 440 is rebuildable ?

Hope your car makes it to Moparfest, I am sure it was killing you not having it . I sincerely hope things are back on track with life...........

Thanks anyway commando1. I sure wish I knew why this particular carb has such weird oddball hard-to-find idle mixture screws!
Lucky me, I guess.

looking at the condition of that mixture screw I would think the entire carb would be pretty much toast and should be replaced. just my 2 cents. might save you some grief in the long run.

Frank it is good to see that you are getting car ready. The PO of my 68 Monaco 500 said the 440 came out of a 78 NYr. I just checked the TQ that it originally came with before the rebuild. Unfortunately it also has the pointy idle screws. I changed to a 750 Eddy carb because my mechanic told me the TQ needed a rebuild. You are welcome to the TQ as a core for no charge if you choose to go that route. In any case you might be better off going with a more common carb.

Frank it is good to see that you are getting car ready. The PO of my 68 Monaco 500 said the 440 came out of a 78 NYr. I just checked the TQ that it originally came with before the rebuild. Unfortunately it also has the pointy idle screws. I changed to a 750 Eddy carb because my mechanic told me the TQ needed a rebuild. You are welcome to the TQ as a core for no charge if you choose to go that route. In any case you might be better off going with a more common carb.

Thanks for the kind offer Fred! I'll let you know in the near future. The Holidays are starting to get in the way of things! lol

Quite frankly, put a pointy one in.
I have a feeling it will work fine.

Might have to go that route if I can't find the right screw. That screw in your photo, do you know if it is hollow inside. Someone suggested I drill out a pointed one. Just wondering.
F%$# ! I just boxed it and put it away in the back of the top shelf! Lol.
Anybody got one before tomorrow night?

Back