Never speed in Virginia

Times have changed, for sure. I got nailed for 102 in a 55 in KS, back when the speed limit nationwide was 55. This was 1983. The sheriff deputy kicked his lights on the second he clocked me (two-lane US Hwy 50). I pulled over and waited. Long story short, I got a $33.00 ticket for 63 in a 55, and mailed the no-point ticket and fine in.

In 1978, a buddy and I were in two separate cars outside Barstow, CA, doing about 80 or so. Cop pulls us both over. We had CO licenses, driving cars registered in CA, and our names don't match the registrations (he in his late grandpa's '77 Colt, and me in his girlfriend's '77 Colt coupe). Oh, both cars are loaded with his GF's crap we are moving to CO for her, and my buddy had a hitchhiker that looked a LOT like Manson. I am picturing jail in our futures! Cop comes to my car after having a little conversation with my buddy and the Manson twin, and says "Boy, your story had better match your friend's story!" It did. We got tickets for 64 in a 55, with a $30.00 mail-in fine.

These days, both stories would probably involve the gub'mint picking my pockets dry, taking my car, and spending jail time.

Back