New Guy restoring/Fixing 65 Plymouth Sport Fury

Dirtleg

Reaction score
Well the time has come for me to once again try and get moving on my 65 Sport Fury.

I acquired it in 2002. Drove it for many years and for the most part it was a good looking and driving car.
Was actually used in a Collective Soul music video in about 2004.
It's a 383 with an automatic. Rebuilt transmission in 2003.
Was originally a California car but as I learned that does not mean rust free.

It started with a bubble on the rear drivers quarter in about 2008. As I investigated I realized the quarter had been poorly repaired with bondo and fiberglass.
As I removed more of it I decided it was all coming off and I would go back with new metal as both rear quarters had been done this way and were swiss cheese essentially.

From 2006 through 2008 it had to sit under a cover while I worked out of town. The rain and Virginia humidity were hard on it.

I started working on it and found rust in the drivers side floor, trunk pan and drops as well. I guess I'm a bit OCD and did a complete interior teardown. Was shaping metal for the rear quarters and
fixed the rear floor when my now ex and I split up.

Car sat in storage from 2012 until January of this year.

I finally have a shop again and can work on it. Work will be slow going due to time availability but I'll start a thread on here soon and update as things progress.

Greg.

I good pic and a bad one.

162_6271.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Well the time has come for me to once again try and get moving on my 65 Sport Fury.

I acquired it in 2002. Drove it for many years and for the most part it was a good looking and driving car.
Was actually used in a Collective Soul music video in about 2004.
It's a 383 with an automatic. Rebuilt transmission in 2003.
Was originally a California car but as I learned that does not mean rust free.

It started with a bubble on the rear drivers quarter in about 2008. As I investigated I realized the quarter had been poorly repaired with bondo and fiberglass.
As I removed more of it I decided it was all coming off and I would go back with new metal as both rear quarters had been done this way and were swiss cheese essentially.

From 2006 through 2008 it had to sit under a cover while I worked out of town. The rain and Virginia humidity were hard on it.

I started working on it and found rust in the drivers side floor, trunk pan and drops as well. I guess I'm a bit OCD and did a complete interior teardown. Was shaping metal for the rear quarters and
fixed the rear floor when my now ex and I split up.

Car sat in storage from 2012 until January of this year.

I finally have a shop again and can work on it. Work will be slow going due to time availability but I'll start a thread on here soon and update as things progress.

Greg.

I good pic and a bad one.

View attachment 585706

View attachment 585707

Sounds like you have the skills and are up to the challenge with respect to the required metal work. If needed, I have a complete C-Body floor with solid rockers that I will donate to the cause. You just hafta come and get it. If you drive like me, its a three hour drive.

BTW, welcome to the asylum.

Rip

Back