Output shaft / front yoke engagement

darth_linux

Reaction score
Trans was rebuilt probably 5 years ago - not sure. A little bit of leakage from the seal. Curious about the surface rust. At one time it looks like the yoke went in a lot more. Now it does not. The car has been driven more in the last 2 months than in the last 5 years, so there’s no way for me to know when all of this started to happen or change.

What say you, oh wisest of Chrysler sages?

92E0099D-8711-4441-832A-40E8D53BD6C3.jpeg

is the car jacked up with the rear wheels hanging? if so, it will go in when the car is on the ground

is the car jacked up with the rear wheels hanging? if so, it will go in when the car is on the ground
come to think of it though, the car has brand new rear leaf springs - perhaps the sagging rear end is indicated by the old "line" and since getting the back end up again with new springs, we've established a new "norm" of where that shaft engages with the yoke . . .

Factory rear seal had a boot that went past seal for about 1 1/2 inches that would have covered more of the yoke.

You think brand new leaf springs would raise the back end enough to see a difference in yoke engagement?
No. The 1/4" of shiny metal on the yoke could more than account for that.

That amount of yoke sticking out looks about right to me. If you look at the yoke, you can see the wear mark from the old seal. There's plenty of spline engagement there.

There's also about 1" of the output shaft sticking out past the replacement seal that goes into the yoke. See the pic below.

tstrip_chrysler_tf_727_automatic_transmission_hero.jpg

No. The 1/4" of shiny metal on the yoke could more than account for that.

That amount of yoke sticking out looks about right to me. If you look at the yoke, you can see the wear mark from the old seal. There's plenty of spline engagement there.

There's also about 1" of the output shaft sticking out past the replacement seal that goes into the yoke. See the pic below.

View attachment 588940
OK, looks like I’ll just get a replacement seal that has the extra rubber collar on it and call it good. Thanks for all the tips.

Back