painting pitted control arm

Cazman

Reaction score
Has anyone used bed liner or some think paint to fill in pits on control arms? I just painted mine with primer and black rustolem and it looks like crap.

IMG_2015.JPG

The idea of using spray-on bedliner material is to get a surface that will resist future knicks and such while sealing the base item against rust and such. No problem with that as long as it's in a thin coat, which might help self-level and cover the existing rust pits. Other alternatives might be black FlexSeal spray or paste. Both possibilities should be somewhat easy to find, I suspect.

Possibly might have soaked the item in C-L-R, or similar, to remove any existing rust?

On the other hand, the painted item might have a "normal" amount of surface non-smoothness for where it came from? Unlike a similar item from TX or AZ, for example.

Happy New Year!
CBODY67

They were soaked and the rust was dissolved. Then sand blasted. They have had a hard life.

Has anyone used bed liner or some think paint to fill in pits on control arms? I just painted mine with primer and black rustolem and it looks like crap.

View attachment 506663
I don't think looks are the issue. I doubt primer and black Rustoleum will last very long on your control arms. I'd use POR15 gloss black.

Usually when bodyworking they use a thick primer to fill in imperfections and you sand and smooth it to get it nice.

Back