Project is getting started.

M1911

Reaction score
Ok, I picked up my 68 Fury III about 3 Mos. ago and after cleaning for the first few weeks, and a bit of tinkering the "real work" is about to start. I am getting ready to pull the engine to have a shop rebuild it for me. The question I have is should I just have it cammed? If so which brand and lift is recommended. This is going to be a cruiser for me, and just looking for a bit of performance, and a nice loopy sound. Thank you in advance for your opinions/wisdom.

Ok, I picked up my 68 Fury III about 3 Mos. ago and after cleaning for the first few weeks, and a bit of tinkering the "real work" is about to start. I am getting ready to pull the engine to have a shop rebuild it for me. The question I have is should I just have it cammed? If so which brand and lift is recommended. This is going to be a cruiser for me, and just looking for a bit of performance, and a nice loopy sound. Thank you in advance for your opinions/wisdom.

For a daily driver/cruiser the stock cam is probably adequate. Which engine are we talking about, big block, small block, 2BBL or 4BBL, it makes a big difference. If it is a big block, the stock 440 HP cam from 69-70 is as good a choice as any. Be sure to install the dampered valve springs if the engine does not already have them.

Dave

Sorry it is the Original 318 as on now it is a 2bbl, but will be going to a 4, and also I started researching which headers will fit. The engine is unmolested and 100% original. But I have no issue changing that.

In that case, the 340 HP cam with a dual plane intake and a 600 CFM carb. A work of caution, most of the after market 318 cams these days are for the later series "Magnum" engines. These engines have a completely different valve train and updating an older 318 can cause problems with lower end oiling so be careful what you order or be sure the installers know what they are doing. The heads on the '68 318 have small valves and this limits your cam choices. You could go to a later set of Magnum heads as part of rebuild, but that will require after market pistons to get the compression back up and it has the potential to cause problems with the choice of headers as well (different exhaust ports)

Dave

Last edited:
I actually just learned that when talking to the Guys at Hughes a week ago (love that whiplash). I have been reading the 340HP cam is an easy go to. I really didn't want to get into head swapping unless necessary, I am going to go off what the builder says once the engine is disassembled.

The original 340HP cam would work well, I believe. An Edelbrock dual plane with a 600cfm carb, as mentioned, should be just right. Especially with a set of headers and a good under-car exhaust system (2.25" pipes, typically).

The smaller valves in the 318 heads can "tame" that 340HP cam a bit, but not too much, for a good-driving/acting engine. A key thing would be to get the exact repro cam, not a "re-interpretation" of it by some cam company.

When "done and tuned", you might be surprised at how well that little vintage 318 might be!

After you do the engine, you might then plan on getting the trans overhauled with a few, select upgraded frictions in it, for good measure. Especially if it's a 904. "Hot Rod" did an article, back in about '68, on upgrading the 904 to better tolerate drag racing. Mentioning that the 727 would take more power to run, but with a few upgrades the 904 would do just fine and not absorb quite so much horsepower. At the time, they used B&M Transmission items.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

It is the 727 trans. Finding a factory spec 340HP is proving a little difficult tho. It seems all the "major" cam retailers just generically lump 318-340-360 together and leave you guessing a bit.

True, they lump all of the LA motors together for their cams. Just as all of the B/RB motors, too. BUT it's the specs on the 340HP cam that are specific to that particular cam. Using them as a guide would be good. Especially the (generally) 114 degree LCl so that you have a good idle in gear, plus the other things that spec yields.

In recent years, Mopar Perf has the orig cams available, but their later "Purple Shaft" group is not the same as the original Purple Shaft cam. They are just using that catchy name for some cams I suspect they co-opted as their own? I've been looking at Lunati cams for the past few years. Other than their assymetrical lobes on many, they seem to have some good specs for more-stock-oriented motors. And, of course, Hughes uses Chrysler-spec base circle cam blanks designed for Chrysler-diameter lifters.

Now, it is easy to over-cam a smaller displacement engine. What would be smoooth in a 360 would be more radical, by comparison, in a 318 and espesially a 273. But as close in CID as the 318 and 340 are, with the cam being designed for the 340, the smaller valves in the 318 would probably make things just about right for the 318.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back