Question about swapping to disks

Derek Simpson

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Once again I come to the well of knowledge lol. I would really like to get disks on the front of my 66 Newport but it seems like using later spindels is the way to go.

I know that everyone says that 73 spindels are sod after why?

I found theses on fleabay and I hope they are the ones I need

69-72 VARIOUS CHRYSLER CAR W/DISC BRAKE RIGHT FRONT SPINDLE 515-00584R

I also read that I'm going to have to have the correct master cylinder for disk/drum brakes. Anyone can point me in the correct direction would be greatly appreciated

The 73's are the one's everyone wants because they swap on and use the unicast rotor-single piston caliper. Parts are cheaper than the 69-72 spindle swap. But I have been reading that the 69 rotors came down in price so it may be a option. I am others will weigh in on this.

73 has bigger cheaper disc and pin type calipers. Drums on the front of your car are pretty powerful 11×2 something, but they are hard to balance so they don't pull side to side. Fade i would not worry about unless you live in a hilly area or drive aggressively. Aftermarket brakes like willwood, Baer, etc are for trailer cars or carry spares on road trips. The Scarebird kit seems good for a DIY person and uses parts store parts, good for a road car.

Damn I guess they are cheaper, almost have the price!

So the million dollar question is where can i get a set of 73 spindels? What should I be searching for? (Model of car?)

Contact Murray Park and have him bring the partz to Carlisle and buzz over and pick them up and pay him. BTW, He'll have the correct proportioning valve and M/C you'll need too. One stop shopping, win win, Jer

Well I'm thinking I'm just going to stay with drums for now. Until I can find some 73 spindels

The only thing I want to do is get the dual master cylinder for the drums. The single one gets me worried.

Anyone have a link to the dual master?

Well I'm thinking I'm just going to stay with drums for now. Until I can find some 73 spindels

The only thing I want to do is get the dual master cylinder for the drums. The single one gets me worried.

Anyone have a link to the dual master?
There's a set of '73 spindles on ebay as we speak but he wants $350.00.

Back