Radio Antenna

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Over the weekend I put a JVC radio in the 68 NYer that originally had only an AM radio. It resides in a console that I put on the hump under the dash. The antenna cable was long enough so I put a 1 foot extension on it. Previously we could get AM stations with the original radio. I cannot pick up a single station when the radio scans.

Is the antenna cable bad or something?

Back in then 90's with my first 68 I used the original antenna for an aftermarket radio and it worked fine.

What about if you manual tune rather than "scan"? Sometimes, even on factory search tuners, even the new ones, it'll skip strong stations which don't meet the signal strength criteria of the mechanism.

Hi Fellas,
Another Genuine Stupid Original Comment,
We Recently Had Our Only Old Folks AM Station Bought Out, (SYDNEY Area)
The New Owners then Told All the Listeners that they would be changing the Format to DAB.
And Encouraged them to go to a Particular Retailer to Buy a New DAB Radio.
(Around a $100 a Pop, A Lot of Money for a Pensioner)
This Station was the Only Geriatric Station in the City.
(30s - 60s Music)
The Old AM Station was to be used to Broadcast Racing & Football Etc.
After about 12 Months they Announced the Closing of the DAB Station as a Financial Failure.
(After More than 90 Yrs on Air on AM)
Now, DAB Radios in Australia have Only DAB or FM Stations (No AM)
ALL of Which seem to Only Play
Hip Hop, Punk & Modern Music, Not the Stuff us Oldies Like.
So, After having been Ripped Off (In My Opinion)
The Poor Old Pensioners have Basically Gotten Nothing for Their Money.
Another Station has gone to the 50s - 60s Music Format (I Assume to Pick Up the Market) But Still on the AM Band,
So the DAB Radios are Useless to Most of Us.
The Point of My Long Winded & Boring Rant is Simply:
Are You Sure Your New Radio has AM. LOL
In These Modern Times Old Technology is Dumped without a Blink.
Anyway Please Forgive an Old Man's Ravings.
Regards Tony.M

I agree, it should work. Did you try both Am & FM? Is there a station in your area you know has a strong signal, and can manually tune to it and see if you get anything?

It is both an AM and FM radio. There are numerous stations that should come in. I used to pick up the local AM with the factory radio. I'll have to read the manual more to figure out how to manually tune it.

Don't be surprised if the new radio doesn't pick up as many AM stations as the old one. Old AM radios seem to have much better sensitivity than new ones.

Back