Radio output volts AC DC

This may sound too simple, but I have done this many times on radio volume / tone controls, and fader switches.

Access the fader control and you will see small openings where you can flush it with tuner cleaner / even WD40. Operate the fader a few times with the radio off. Now try it.

I just finished auto trans shift shaft seal and pan gasket change. Also, dealing with elderly parent issues. Have not checked fader yet.

This may sound too simple, but I have done this many times on radio volume / tone controls, and fader switches.

Access the fader control and you will see small openings where you can flush it with tuner cleaner / even WD40. Operate the fader a few times with the radio off. Now try it.
Thank you for the idea.
DeOxit is good for this purpose.
Hi Ross,
· Fader works perfectly with right rear speaker if input jumped from violet feed wire for left rear speaker. I can't see any indication that the fader is the problem.

It's the OUTPUT of the fader that you need to test. Leave the input to the fader unjumped. Switch them around - make what was Left become Right and vice versa. If the non-functioning speaker switches sides, then you know it's the fader.

It's the OUTPUT of the fader that you need to test. Leave the input to the fader unjumped. Switch them around - make what was Left become Right and vice versa. If the non-functioning speaker switches sides, then you know it's the fader.
Maybe, I didn't explain clearly. If so, my apology. I jumped the violet input wire at the left rear speaker to the input terminal for the right rear speaker. This is the only thing that I jumped. I did not jump anything at the fader, input or output. I left the wiring at the divorced thumbwheel under-dash fader completely undisturbed.

This made the left rear speaker non-functional and the right rear speaker functional, which is the opposite of how the stereo speakers normally perform. Turning the fader thumbwheel to one extreme made the right rear speaker the only functioning speaker. Turning it the opposite direction activated the center front and possibly the right front speaker.

The fader has soldered on wires and 5-wire connector. I think I would need to jump at least 4 terminals to jump anything at the fader and leave it operational. Thanks for the help.
PXL_20210905_160337199ps.jpg

No apology required! I am likely getting confused... :)

Regardless, I think you're on the right track, and if the speakers reversed functionality when you performed this fader test, then the finger remains pointed at the radio.

Keep me posted!

Maybe, I didn't explain clearly. If so, my apology. I jumped the violet input wire at the left rear speaker to the input terminal for the right rear speaker. This is the only thing that I jumped. I did not jump anything at the fader, input or output. I left the wiring at the divorced thumbwheel under-dash fader completely undisturbed.

This made the left rear speaker non-functional and the right rear speaker functional, which is the opposite of how the stereo speakers normally perform. Turning the fader thumbwheel to one extreme made the right rear speaker the only functioning speaker. Turning it the opposite direction activated the center front and possibly the right front speaker.

The fader has soldered on wires and 5-wire connector. I think I would need to jump at least 4 terminals to jump anything at the fader and leave it operational. Thanks for the help.
View attachment 495542
Were you able to sort out your radio problems?
My 73 Imperial is having some issues I think you were having, my speakers sound crossed over side to side in the rear compared to front. If i roll fader to fronts the sound gets rough/static like. Now I am having the radio just quit while driving, turn off and on and it's back. This brought me to your post while searching.

Were you able to sort out your radio problems?
My 73 Imperial is having some issues I think you were having, my speakers sound crossed over side to side in the rear compared to front. If i roll fader to fronts the sound gets rough/static like. Now I am having the radio just quit while driving, turn off and on and it's back. This brought me to your post while searching.
Radio: I did not do repairs internally. The right side was inoperative.
Fader: I lengthened and repaired some of the wires and cleaned the connector which helped a lot with the left side speakers and front center speaker
Right side speakers were OK, judging by jumping the left side speakers to the right side speaker spades/terminals.

You can do continuity tests from your fader connector to your speaker connectors and to your radio connector.

I never had the radio repaired, but if I did I would use Gary Tayman
Tayman Electrical stereo solutions for collector cars

I'm not sure about the 73 radios. But the 69 c body Philips thumb tuning radios are notorious for open capacitors in all there radios. Complaints would be no audio out of left or right or both speakers, low audio, no stereo tuning, weak station. Those units always has to be completely recapped. Once rebuilt they work better than new. On the latter ones up to 73 are not so bad. They do have the same issues with dried capacitors. Easy way to eliminate if it's in the radio is to take a none test speaker and connect one end to a common ground and use the other to test output on the 3 pin connector coming out of the radio the purple and green are the audio output ( I don't remember which is left and right ) and the black is ground.

Back