Rear window reveal clips - 72 Fury

Analog Kid

Reaction score
As typical with a Fuselage my rear window reveal clips have rotted away so I can't really tell what kind they are. Tried looking in the FSM body manual but I could not find any information on them so....I bought what I believed to be the right clips

(NOS Chrysler Dodge Front Windshield Rear Window Reveal Trim Molding Clips 10ps I | eBay)

but when I went to remove the screws I realized that they are not really screws. They look like some sort of nail or pin that the clips secures to. (see pic)

Question - do I need the kind that does not have a screw? Like these?

1971-1973 Plymouth Parts | ME533 | 1971-73 Mopar E-Body 20 Piece Rear Window Molding Clip Set | Classic Industries

InkedIMG_3445_LI.jpg

The clips that were factory installed had a pin in the center of them. The replacement clips have a self sealing screw as when the cars aged most of the pins rusted off. If the clips fit the trim, you have the correct replacement item. You will need to drill a small hole for the self sealing screw and this can get tricky because the channel and surrounding metal often started to rust from the inside out and became very thin.

Dave

OK...I'm trying to avoid drilling here - because it basically means I have to remove the rest of the trim. Since I can lift it up just enough to get into the channel I am hoping I can get a new clip to slide onto the studs. I found these clips online that I believe should fit. Under $7 for a box of 50....figured I could at least try them.

Window Reveal Moulding Clip - Chrysler

IMG_3451.JPG

Just having a problem getting them to slide on the studs. It must take a lot of force and I can't get a good angle with the pliers. Now my fingers are sore so I'm giving up for today. Will try again later this week.

they do take quite a bit of force. they need to spread a little and spring back around the pin. i've always put a blanket over the window and used a screwdriver with a hammer to tap the flat above the opening for the pin.

To my surprise I was actually able to get one in. So I tried some more and got them all in but one. I thought I had it seated but it popped out when I tried pushing the trim back in.

My hands are pretty beat - got a nice palm blister and a few cuts so I had to call it a night. At least I’m making progress though.

Dave -- I had looked into these exact same clips, from the very same eBay seller, ahead of making an offer on a '71 New Yorker that I had wanted to buy back in March but miscommunication with the seller made me miss. Glad to know those clips work, thank you for posting!

In related matters, do you think that this other '71 NYer could use the help of some extra clips? It seems that, in the middle of the window, there is a gap between the stainless trim and the window/body. Note that this car has been repainted; I don't know if the vinyl roof is original.

IMG_0081.jpg

Yes it definitely looks like it’s either missing the clips or they’ve come undone and the rusty remains of the clip are still in the channel. Half the battle here is getting the old clips out and making sure the path is cleared for the new clip.

I have a lot of clips left over so if you want any I’ll give them to you the next time we meet up.

Hi Dave, that GA4 NYer is again for sale. I might need your clips. If you still have some left over, then I would be happy to buy them from you!

Yes I should have some left. Just let me know how many you think you need.

You can buy me a big block burger at Carlisle next year for payment.

@Analog Kid -- what clips did you use to reattach the lower molding? Here is the matching part on Buttercup, my 1972 NYB.

upload_2021-9-15_13-57-59.jpeg

PS: For more details on what I am looking for, see here.

Last edited:
Thank you for the rapid response. Lucky you!

Back