recommendations Salt Lake City / Chicago

boom.operator

Reaction score
Hi,

i am going to visit the US for the first time in October. I will stay for 5 days in Salt Lake City and 5 days in Chicago.
Do any of you guys have some recommendations which places i definitely have to visit? It does not need to be Mopar/Classic car related, however it would be nice if so :D

If you are traveling for specific events or visiting someone indicate which part of town . Both Salt Lake and Chicago are sprawling cities.

The first time I flew into Salt Lake I was blown away at its immensity. I was expecting more of a town. Nothing that big. I was very disappointed to find an East coast type city in the west. Traffic, traffic lights, 8 lane congestion. :BangHead: 45 minutes North of the city it empties out pretty well but my Jersey anxiety and stress felt right at home there.:mad:

I haven't found anything in Salt Lake City worth seeing except a map telling me how to get the Hell out of there.:steering: Utah and the surrounding states are beautiful. The cities within those states blow.:thankyou:

The first time I flew into Salt Lake I was blown away at its immensity. I was expecting more of a town. Nothing that big. I was very disappointed to find an East coast type city in the west. Traffic, traffic lights, 8 lane congestion. :BangHead: 45 minutes North of the city it empties out pretty well but my Jersey anxiety and stress felt right at home there.:mad:

I haven't found anything in Salt Lake City worth seeing except a map telling me how to get the Hell out of there.:steering: Utah and the surrounding states are beautiful. The cities within those states blow.:thankyou:
Agreed but to each their own… I go there in the winter for the best skiing on earth ! You really havent skied “Powder” until you’ve skied the Wasatch front !
Alta specifically.
Drive the freeway at your own risk ….
Chicago however is a different story. Great restaurants, dramatic downtown , beautiful suburbs and the lakefront. Sure its a big city but its a classic and old big city .

Agreed but to each their own… I go there in the winter for the best skiing on earth ! You really havent skied “Powder” until you’ve skied the Wasatch front !
Alta specifically.
Drive the freeway at your own risk ….
Chicago however is a different story. Great restaurants, dramatic downtown , beautiful suburbs and the lakefront. Sure its a big city but its a classic and old big city .

I've never heard anyone say " I can't wait till winter so I can go to SLC and ski ".
Conversely, Sun Valley is a huge ski destination as well as Jackson Wyoming. The term "Champaign Powder" comes from there and there's a reason for it. World wide skiers go to Jackson for the dry perfect snow.

I don't have to tell you any of that though. You're there and I'm jealous :icon_fU:.

Ok, since i´m not into skiing, SLC seems not to offer much for me. :D
I tried to figure out if there are cool events at Bonneville Salt Flat Raceway during 21. - 25. of October. However i did not manage to get this information from the Webpage BonnevilleRacing.com – Fastest Race Track On Earth Is there another place to see schedules?

When in Chicago, i will definitely visit Galloping Ghost Arcade
I am also into vintage arcade games/pinballs. So this place looks like heaven :D

I’m a Long time resident from the Chicagoland area and here’s a few suggestions in the suburbs surrounding Chicago plus there are many great treasures in the downtown area including Shows (plays), Music (blues- Buddy Guy’s Legends), Dining and Lake Michigan. Buckingham fountain is a nice water display near the lake front but probably the water is shut off for the upcoming winter. The “Bean” is a very popular art exhibit. After saying some nice things you need to know that Chicago is one of our large cities having “changes”. Just be aware and probably stay to the north side of the city.

Home - Cantigny
The Morton Arboretum | To plant and protect trees for a greener, healthier, and more beautiful world
Volo Museum

Below is a car show website

Chicagoland Car Shows and Cruise Nights | DriveChicago.com
Cheers to your upcoming adventures and Best Regards,

Ok, since i´m not into skiing, SLC seems not to offer much for me. :D
I tried to figure out if there are cool events at Bonneville Salt Flat Raceway during 21. - 25. of October. However i did not manage to get this information from the Webpage BonnevilleRacing.com – Fastest Race Track On Earth Is there another place to see schedules?

When in Chicago, i will definitely visit Galloping Ghost Arcade
I am also into vintage arcade games/pinballs. So this place looks like heaven :D
If you’re not going there for any particular reason then I would skip it . I find SLC gloomy and gray . Only go there because of the skiing . Ski all day then back to our room then repeat next day .
Are you a German citizen or did you relocate there from the US ? I ask because you seem pretty comfortable communicating.
If you are into the outdoors then I would suggest visiting Boise . Idaho has spectacular mountains , high desert , wild rivers etc ! I once attended an invite weeklong camping/single track dirtbiking event and 1rider was from Germany and 1 from Austria ( yes the riding here is that epic…) and I let the German guy ride my new KTM300 for the week . He was ecstatic!

I only have two desires in Chicago: Wrigley and Soldier Fields.

Can’t help much regarding SLC either, except the National Parks south of there are spectacular.

Enjoy!

I´m a german citizen. I´ve had never visited the US before. So i´m pretty excited.
Guess i will focus on the beautiful landscape around SLC and going for the "action" in Chicago :D

Art institute, unrivaled collection of Monets, Field or Musem of Science and Industry, Sears Tower or John Hancock observatories, Klairmont Collection on the NW side, Volo if your up for a drive, and my home town favorite Super Dog.

Salt Lake City a drive up to Park City/ Deer Valley, Golden Spike National Monument. Check the Southern California Timming Association web site for Bonneville events. Mormon Tabernacle tour

Last edited:
I´m a german citizen. I´ve had never visited the US before. So i´m pretty excited.
Guess i will focus on the beautiful landscape around SLC and going for the "action" in Chicago :D
Yeah the Mormon influence severely limits the "Action" in SLC although they are losing some of their hold up there.

How far are you looking to travel away from SLC?
What are you looking to do?

Museum campus in Chicago, three museums in walking distance of each other on the lakefront.
Navy pier.
DuSable Lake Shore Drive.

Back