Rim Blow options

Cadee

Reaction score
The rim blow on my 70 Sport Fury is falling apart and does not work. Driving without a working horn is not good so, my question is...is there another steering wheel that will just bolt on in place of the rim blow? If so, what if any modifications/wiring would need to be done.
I cant afford to get the rim blow restored.
Thanks.

Thanks for asking that question. I just took my rim blow off today and made a few calls to find out the price to restore. This will be good info to know if there is a wheel that could be swapped in lieu of a rim blow.

Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 5.35.09 PM.png

You should be . If I lived where you lived ( working on it) I wouldn't be using my horn much if at all either ...:thumbsup:

It's better to have a crumbling rim blow switch than one that's intact and would start the horn honking when the interior temp exceeded 80 degrees F! As the one in my '70 Monaco did. Cooks the horn relays, too!

When I got my '70 Monaco Bro. in '75, the rim blow switch was hard and the horn didn't work. I bought it that way from the dealer (as a used car). We figured he didn't know it had a rim blow wheel, trying to use the crossbar as the horn button (which didn't work that way). I later found the horn relay was cooked internally. A new relay and the horn worked IF I pushed hard enough to make contact in the switch. The service manager related how difficult it was to change the rim blow switches.

IF the relay didn't go, the spring which held the contact for the horn (a part of the turn signal switch) would weaken and the contact wouldn't make the necessary contact with the cancelling cam. So I changed a few turn signal switches! I finally took the cover off of the horn relay so I could use my foot to manually make the horn work.

I've been considering one of the repro Tuff Wheels as a good alternative, somewhat correct and also "period correct".

I think the Rim Blow option was a good idea (as Ford and GM had them too), BUT it obviously wasn't good enough for it to remain an option for more than a few model years.

When I could still get one, I got a new one from Chrysler. Only in Basic Black, though, but with a new switch in it ready to install. Looked like it could have also worked for a Tilt 'n Telescope column than just for a tilt column, with a little grinding.

Y'all might have had better luck with them where you're located, but my experiences were more like an exercise in futility. I imagine that a wheel from a '74-era C-body would look similar and install pretty much as the '70 steering wheel does? Just need to get it "painted to match".

CBODY67

I'll bet Jersey is a "frequent horn use area".... just like NYC.
I commented about horns to my wife and she reminded me of my 78 Buick wagon that I drove from 78 to 95 and after that my kids drove it till about 2000. For some reason that car, as far as we know, never had a horn. Whether GM forgot it or someone liberated it, I don't know. You can drive for days and days without ever hearing a horn and when you do its someone driving by and giving a toot and a wave to someone they know on the street. Sure nothing like LA, NYC, etc..

Back