Shocks for 72 C body

496 polara

Reaction score
What shocks are out there these days for a 72 Newport? I prefer a firmer ride/better handling over a floaty ride. You can firm these old gals up and they still ride nice. Years ago I ran KYB on my 70 Polara . It had a host of other upgrades as well.Police torsion bars and F&R larger sway bars. Not looking to go that route this time (yet anyway). Just a firmer better handling ride. I am happy with the Bilstein I just put on my 72 Duster. Hoping to not spend that much on this one(the poor C body always gets neglected lol).

I ordered something called PRT 370816 from Rockauto a few months ago for my '67 Monaco, I see they'd also be the same for your '72 Chrysler. Price was $16 USD each. Be a while before I put them on. I assume you're talking about front shocks. Only 3 left! Monroe and Gabriel versions aren't much more expensive, maybe $5 more.

Inside of those air shocks is probably the earlier large-size piston and possibly the earlier valving of earlier years. At the minimum pressure of about 30psi, that's not enough to raise the rear of the car if at all, just expand the boots holding the air.

The old Monroe Super 500s were their premier HD shock, back then. The later Radial Matics replace them, but "tuned for radial tires". I put some on the front of my '67 Newport and was not impressed with their firmness. That was in about 1982, so I've watched and not bought any new shocks since then . . . until the middle 1980s when I put OEM Chrysler HD shocks on the front of my '80 Newport. They felt like I wanted them to, being soft on the little bumps and firmer on the big ones. With Monroe air shocks on the back (as the car already had air shocks on it).

At this point in time, many people have related that KYBs will keep the front end of a C-body Chrysler better-controlled than other brands. Personally I would opt for the air shocks to get the bigger pistons and no more, but that is just me.

CBODY67

The air shocks are new. Put on by the previous owner. Rear is level so maybe I will drive it some first and then decide.
I have two like new kyb that came off the rear of my Duster but I would i.agine they may be too short.

The air shocks are new. Put on by the previous owner. Rear is level so maybe I will drive it some first and then decide.
I have two like new kyb that came off the rear of my Duster but I would i.agine they may be too short.
I have installed KYB on 1970 & 1971 Fury. The front shocks were a bear to install. Personally, I'd spend the least on front shocks and the most on new Firm Feel torsion bars.
As to rear shocks, I like the KYB. @ayilar will have further advice.

Former 'Auto Parts' store experience here. Monroe/Napa shocks are the same after you open the box. Air shocks are designed with a primary mission, to supplement the carrying capacity of the Springs/Torsion Bars. Monroe adds the 'Air Support' feature to their most 'basic' shock, due to them being a 'band aid' for an overloaded or sagged suspension. Their bounce control is minimal....

Sadly for older cars, all the 'mass market' manufacturers have discontinued their upgraded shocks and only sell what is barely better than nothing. If at all possible, go with the KYB or Bilstein.

B

I'm very happy with the KYB shocks front and rear on my New Yorker. The ride feels more "modern" than anything else I tried, with crisp handling using the stock torsion bars. It's a -66 so it's a bit older than your car, though. They were dirt cheap from Rockauto.

I'm very happy with the KYB shocks front and rear on my New Yorker. The ride feels more "modern" than anything else I tried, with crisp handling using the stock torsion bars. It's a -66 so it's a bit older than your car, though. They were dirt cheap from Rockauto.
1966 are a different size than 1972-1973 Chrysler and Plymouth. KYB rear shocks for 1972-1973 Chrysler and Plymouth c-body are discontinued. KYB still has rear shock for 1972-1973 Dodge c-body.

Back