Shoulder belts for rear seats

Analog Kid

Reaction score
I am just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on outfitting the rear seats with shoulder belts. My '72 Fury has only lap belts in the rear seats....it has shoulder belts for the front which looked like they were never used until I got the car.

I have 3 kids and I like using the car to take them to their various sporting events on the weekends. I think my wife would prefer I had shoulder belts in the rear for safety reasons. I am certainly not opposed to this but I would like to do it in a way that doesn't degrade the beauty of the car. I am thinking that doing a four point harness might be the best solution since it would only require drilling a new anchor point beneath the seat for each harness. I can reuse the existing anchor points for the sides.

This is what I was thinking of using....any thoughts?

four point harness 2.png

This is our 4 point seat belt with a Push-Button style buckle, featuring 2 inch shoulder harnesses for both shoulders that extend to 66 inches when fully extended, plus a 44 inch tail strap that anchors to the floor of the vehicle. These seat belts work for either, driver, passenger or middle positions in your car, truck, van or RV. This seat belt is perfect for the middle position of a bench seat where you would like to have a shoulder harness seat belt or would like to attach a baby seat or child car seat. (Child car seat seat belt.) These four point belts are Federal Safety Standard approved #302!

4 Point Seat Belts - Push Button Buckle (Charcoal Shown)

Check your FSM. Rear shoulder belts were optional and there should be some illustrations of how they mounted in the body section. Here's a screen shot from a '69 Plymouth FSM

rear belts.jpg

Check your FSM. Rear shoulder belts were optional and there should be some illustrations of how they mounted in the body section. Here's a screen shot from a '69 Plymouth FSM

Yes...I suppose that would be right way to do it but any idea where I would get the parts to do this? Not only would I need the shoulder belts but also the extension and reinforcement brackets.

Yes...I suppose that would be right way to do it but any idea where I would get the parts to do this? Not only would I need the shoulder belts but also the extension and reinforcement brackets.
That gives you an idea of the mounting. I would say that you could have the belts made as I'm fairly sure the hardware is the same as the seatbelts. Contact @dart4forte about having some made.

I don't know about the other pieces though... I'll bet there's a way around them.

Can kids ride in the back of a motorcycle?

Currently, only two states have an age restriction for motorcycle passengers. ... Under Section 1251 of NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law, to carry a passenger: the motorcycle must be designed to carry more than one person and the passenger must ride on a permanent seat.

Remind her that you aren't doing this. If she gives you static, you know what to do.

Just curious, can the kids use the current lap belts??? If they're in the lap belts, the shoulder belts will only keep them from leaning over in a sudden decal situation. But they'll still be anchored into the seat.

CBODY67

Just curious, can the kids use the current lap belts???

Yeah....the older ones (11 & 13) are fine using the lap belts although usually one of them rides in the front. My 3 year old though needs a car seat which can be installed with just the lap belts.

I don't know....it seems like it might be a lot of trouble to do and for a marginal amount of additional safety. Although I did find the location where the shoulder belts will go on the extension panel. Might be something to think about later when my 3 year old is out of the car seat but not yet big enough for the front seat.

IMG_3435.JPG

Back