Slab Side key question

Chrysler's key system of doors/ignition (pentastar - Y-152) key and round head key (glove box / trunk / wagon door) lasted from 1963 through 1989, at least Prior to the pentastar the ignition/door key was multisided. CY9 was another number for the round head trunk key. The trunk key in the late 1950's into the 1970's was one side flat - no key grooves. The 1940's keys dated back to about 1941.

Have one Y149 key with "REPLACEMENT FOR CHRYSLER" on the round head.

Chrysler's key system of doors/ignition (pentastar - Y-152) key and round head key (glove box / trunk / wagon door) lasted from 1963 through 1989, at least Prior to the pentastar the ignition/door key was multisided. CY9 was another number for the round head trunk key. The trunk key in the late 1950's into the 1970's was one side flat - no key grooves. The 1940's keys dated back to about 1941.

Have one Y149 key with "REPLACEMENT FOR CHRYSLER" on the round head.
You may know something about this. I have old spare trunk keys cut for my Chryslers which use blank #Y149. However new Y149 blanks that they sell at hardware stores now are different and won't work in my trunk.

Last time I wanted a spare trunk key cut, which was years ago now, I went to a locksmith. The guy remembered that he had a box of "special" blanks which fit old Mopars. He said they hadn't sold one in years. Of course that one fit. There was no blank number on the key, but when I compared it to an old Y149 key the grooves were identical widths and lengths. Why did the Y149 blank change?

You may know something about this. I have old spare trunk keys cut for my Chryslers which use blank #Y149. However new Y149 blanks that they sell at hardware stores now are different and won't work in my trunk.

Last time I wanted a spare trunk key cut, which was years ago now, I went to a locksmith. The guy remembered that he had a box of "special" blanks which fit old Mopars. He said they hadn't sold one in years. Of course that one fit. There was no blank number on the key, but when I compared it to an old Y149 key the grooves were identical widths and lengths. Why did the Y149 blank change?
I had our resident traveling key maker, @cantflip , make some keys under our tent at Carlisle. I'm looking for the picture... It's on here somewhere.

I had our resident traveling key maker, @cantflip , make some keys under our tent at Carlisle. I'm looking for the picture... It's on here somewhere.
Some of the previously mentioned stuff is why I don't do key stuff by mail. The factory/aftermarket information for keying or pinning lock cylinders. Mopar keys have some differences and then there were so many reproduction blanks... plus aftermarket replacement cylinders... without making sure that a blank fits freely into all locks before it's cut, I'd never get any of them right. There are also so many aftermarket blanks, including correct looking ones, that have wider "universal" type grooves that may fit more than one blank number. FWIW, the groove designations (y-149, y-152, etc) are aftermarket designations and may not be exactly the same amount of "universal" depending on the key manufacturer.

With the car or all lock cylinders present, I could work out keys or repin, but you can get a matched set of repops from ebay so cheap, I can't see a good reason to do so.

Back