Sloppy Column Shifter

440Chauncey

Reaction score
Wanted to see if anyone had a remedy to fix a loose column shifter. I run a modified 727 in my 68 New Yorker with a reverse pattern valve body. Im having a hard time getting the linkage adjusted. Seems like the car will want to jump out of park or 3rd depending on where I adjust it. I cant find a sweet spot that fully engages the end positions of the shifter.

I went on eBay and bought new bushings but that didnt seem to help. Not sure if there's anything else I can do with the column itself. Thanks in advance!

Other than the "Rooster Comb" in the transmission, which determines the detents at THAT end of the linkage, there should be a "detent plate" in the steering column. THAT plate has different levels which determine how much forward or rearward the shift lever has to be moved to plate the shift lever in the particular gear or Park.

The rooster comb has a spring loaded ball which holds it in its particular gear, so that spring might be what you need to look at.

CBODY67

Interested as well, I have the same RMVB on the column setup as you and mine is noticeably loose. The end stops are ok and I can get all of the appropriate gears, but the mechanism feels sloppy. The trans side feels ok, I think it's all in the column but I don't know what wears specifically that is introducing all of the slop.

Other than the "Rooster Comb" in the transmission, which determines the detents at THAT end of the linkage, there should be a "detent plate" in the steering column. THAT plate has different levels which determine how much forward or rearward the shift lever has to be moved to plate the shift lever in the particular gear or Park.

The rooster comb has a spring loaded ball which holds it in its particular gear, so that spring might be what you need to look at.

CBODY67
I will have to look into the detent plate, the trans rooster comb feels good on its own.

Back