so let me get this straight

spstan

Reaction score
if you face a Chrysler 440 engine from the front looking to rear of car the engine rotates in the counterclockwise direction, right? Paul

if you face a Chrysler 440 engine from the front looking to rear of car the engine rotates in the counterclockwise direction, right? Paul
no. Facing the front it's clockwise. Unless you have a marine engine, some are CCW.

no. Facing the front it's clockwise. Unless you have a marine engine, some are CCW.
Wait a minute J, by "facing the front" do you mean 1) sitting in the drivers seat looking towards the front of the car or 2) do you mean standing in front of the car looking towards the rear? there's a difference. Paul

You first post explains where you are standing.
The second post explains the rotation. all is fine.

Now the Third post starts the confusion.

You asked if you face the front, your face looking at the front looking back. My answer is facing the same direction. If you are on the drivers side of the fender looking at the engine, the top of the crank is rolling over to you and down. Front of the car to your left, rear to your right. If you are sitting in the drivers seat and looking forward, then the crank is CCW. If you're on the passenger side fender looking at it, the top of the crank is going away from you.

OK I'm straight now. Got confused cause the distributor on a 440 rotates counter clockwise but the engine rotates clockwise. Paul

OK I'm straight now.
We were all rooting for you. I was afraid you were gonna tell us you just put $10K into rebuilding a beautiful motor and put it into your car, only to find out it's a marine engine lol.

No different than a body man ordering trim for the rh side of the car. Trim arrives the next day. Body man compares it to the car, standing in the stall just like he did the day before. It's for the wrong side. (Conversation with the parts department) THEN the body man notices the car was driven in normally, but was backed in the prior day (when the parts were ordered). Dang clean-up crew!

In all seriousness, I was thinking of how to get the crank bolt off (I don't have impact wrench). I saw on Youtube where a fellow takes a breaker bar and socket and attaches to crank bolt. Then he gets in car and bumps the starter. Presto, crank bolt screws right off. Because the 440 turns clockwise I'm thinking this method might work on my car. Has anyone tried this? The one thing I'm worried about is if crank bolt is too tight bumping the starter while bolt is held in place by breaker bar might break tooth off of fly wheel. Paul

In all seriousness, I was thinking of how to get the crank bolt off (I don't have impact wrench). I saw on Youtube where a fellow takes a breaker bar and socket and attaches to crank bolt. Then he gets in car and bumps the starter. Presto, crank bolt screws right off. Because the 440 turns clockwise I'm thinking this method might work on my car. Has anyone tried this? The one thing I'm worried about is if crank bolt is too tight bumping the starter while bolt is held in place by breaker bar might break tooth off of fly wheel. Paul
That's a great way of breaking tools, or having the breaker bar miss-aligned and rounding the bolt head. Harbor Frieght impact tool runs under $100, or rent one for free from Auto Zone.

Bad idea. Please don't do it. It's dangerous on many levels.

The problem with YouTube is anyone can post a video, no matter how dumb or dangerous. There are some very good videos from folks that know what they are doing, but you have to be selective and use common sense.

Has anyone tried this?
it's common practice when doing timing belts on subarus. not enough room to get an impact in with the radiator in place. i must have done a couple of dozen of them over the years. let us know how it works with a 440!

Or twist the crank.

Last time I had to take the crank bolt off I just blocked the torque converter. I didn't have an impact at the time.

^^ this.

1695003774596.png

Years ago I was moving an old Mack truck at work. It was a cabover with a really sloppy guess-the-gear shifter.
It had the front wheels in a mild hole and I needed to rock it a little to get it moving.
Thru a perfect-storm of rocking it backwards, clutching it, grabbing a gear to go forward, near-killing the engine, and re-clutching it - I found 3 reverse gears everywhere I tried to jiggle it into first.
I had managed to get the engine running backwards.

Obviously an automatic is a different scenario due to the torque converter.

Back