Sprung door hinges

rd92west

plan C
Reaction score
The 60 pioneer I just got had sprung top hinge on drivers door.
A buddy told me how to fix it.
Maybe this is common knowledge, but in case it's not I felt I would share.
I have a 62 saratoga in my parts car collection. I always liked the 62 and bought this car to have parts on hand.
Anyhow the Saratoga had sprung drivers door so I went out and used my buddies plan on it. You can see how it was before and after. Took all of 5 minutes. If you look close you will see the 7/16 bolt. It goes in the U shape notches that the roller fits in to hold the door open.
With the bolt in the U notches I forced the door further open. I give it a steady push. Then closed the door enough to get the bolt out and closed the door to check for progress. It was coming but needed more so I put bolt back in and pushed the door open again. On the 4 th go round I got a door fitting real nice.

20201209_161329.jpg

20201209_161321.jpg

20201209_162311.jpg

20201209_161418.jpg

20201209_161702.jpg

20201209_161712.jpg

Neat trick. Thanks.

The bottom line is lube your door hinges folks. It’s the rollers and the pivot on the detent that get stuck and do this.

This happens on these cars because the detents are deep and one on top and bottom of the hinge. Cars sit and the hinges get crusty and bound up. When the door is open all they way people just push harder and harder to get it to close and bend the hinge.

When the door is wide open and it won’t close if you pull the door closed and open About 4 inches you will free up the detents and not be and it like this.

I bought a 1960 New Yorker that the door was sprung and the guy left it to the elements for 10 years. Screwed it all up really. Door panel junk, floor rusted out, dash all pitted to death. Power seat coroded up. Too much water in the car. Was an estate and the didn’t care. Car ran like a million bux!

Good and creative repair, what is that growing on the inside of the fender?

Dave

Good and creative repair, what is that growing on the inside of the fender?

Dave, I laid the penetrating oil on real heavy before I started.
This saratoga was pretty nice in its day. Lots of parts on it. Check out the custom shackles. And the counter shackle bend in the leaf springs.

20201124_144934.jpg

Thai repair is a great thing to know, used it many times. Thanks again!

Back