Steering Gear Box replacement recommendations

HOT FURY

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt my front end suspension/steering linkage and my factory power steering pump about 3 months ago. Now I want to tighten up the steering a little more so looking to replace my original worn out gear box. Looking for recommendations from anyone who may have gone with any of the 3 options below or other suggestions. I would rather go the best reliable fix option over saving a few bucks on an "ok" fix. Looking at the red head rebuilt option vs. Borgeson with the no cut coupler adapter kit from Bergman autocraft vs. firm feel stage 2 rebuilt option.

I did the Firm Feel #2 with my '70 300. It's good, but it took some getting used to. Can't just spin the steering wheel while parking anymore, but driving is good.

What I've read about installs on the Borgeson box doesn't impress me. Some guys say it fits with no problem and some say it really doesn't fit without some screwing around. Might want to do a search on it.

I did the Firm Feel #2 with my '70 300. It's good, but it took some getting used to. Can't just spin the steering wheel while parking anymore, but driving is good.

What I've read about installs on the Borgeson box doesn't impress me. Some guys say it fits with no problem and some say it really doesn't fit without some screwing around. Might want to do a search on it.
Leaning more towards the firm feel but also wanted to ask if you think the range rover steering shaft coupler is the best option for replacement after having done it to your 300 a while ago?

Leaning more towards the firm feel but also wanted to ask if you think the range rover steering shaft coupler is the best option for replacement after having done it to your 300 a while ago?
The Range Rover coupler was the only option a couple years ago. It needed a little modifying to make it like stock.

The Lares 220 is a direct replacement for stock and is built the same as the Rover piece.... Just don't have to do any machine work to make it fit.

The Range Rover coupler was the only option a couple years ago. It needed a little modifying to make it like stock.

The Lares 220 is a direct replacement for stock and is built the same as the Rover piece.... Just don't have to do any machine work to make it fit.
just ordered the coupler and rebuild kit for the shaft coupling, any idea if this intermediate shaft between the replacement coupler and the gear box can be removed without pulling the whole steering column out from the cab? Just trying to eliminate extra steps in my replacement if possible.

just ordered the coupler and rebuild kit for the shaft coupling, any idea if this intermediate shaft between the replacement coupler and the gear box can be removed without pulling the whole steering column out from the cab? Just trying to eliminate extra steps in my replacement if possible.
You'll have to loosen the column bolts and slide it back a bit, but I think you can leave it in.

Back