Steering wheel repair

66furys

Reaction score
So mine was medium bad, with some quarter inch gaps, and cracks. So, eastwood repair kit. The epoxy is great for the big gaps and is very slow to dry, so is not friendly for multiple apps. So, after getting the main repairs done, I switched to bondo for MANY repetitions of fills and sanding. That part was fine, except that the steering wheel shape is awful to have to deal with....period. I would recommend small sanding discs, no coarser than 220 to begin the major cleandown. So, after the plastic adhesion, I primed, and did see a few very small blems. I went on to the paint. So, my point here is that when you do this job, you MUST have a tube of glazing putty. This stuff just comes out of the tube for very small defects, dries quick and you can sand. So, after primer, have the putty on hand for those very small defects, holes and scratches that are much more obvious after paint. Get a very strong light, and take a lot of time in prime. Now, after color dries well, I intend to use the two part clear coat for very durable finish.

Hmmm, my work. After seeing some good work on this site, I am often discouraged to display my own. I did spend five years on a total resto on an MGA...and did the body off work from welding to paint.....came out OK, but not professional......oh well. I have to wait just a bit to use the 2k clear on the wheel...this is after three coats of acyrlic.

steer wheel repair.jpg

Back