Sticky Odometer Blues

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
Gertrude, our 1968 Newport convertible, marks only about half the actual distance she travels on the main odometer, and seldom twitches the trip odo. I can manually reset the trip odo, and get it to log about 9/10s of the actual distance travelled, while rolling after the reset, which also MUST be done while rolling. I suspect the speedo cable needs replacement for one thing, and have an ATP one, which I'm not thrilled about but which supposedly will work.

BUT, I suspect the odometer itself has issues. Cleaning it might help for one thing, and I can do this, or replace it with another old odo I have in another speedometer for a 68 Chrysler. (Good 2 have.) BUT, that would be installing one old odometer to replace another. Very problematic.

So, I see some NOS King Seeley odometers out there, purported to be good for 1960s Mopars among other makes. Do any of you know about these? Have any of you tried them? Would it be worth my $$?

I have a similar issue with my '66 Imperial, in that the odometer works fine, but the trip odometer is very "notchy". My speedometer works fine, so I suspect it's not a cable problem. When I get around to replacing some bulbs in the cluster, I'll separate the trip odometer from the speedo unit and see what's up. With 57 years behind it, it's probably goo'd up a bit. Cleaning things is the cheapest and easiest initial solution.

I have a similar issue with my '66 Imperial, in that the odometer works fine, but the trip odometer is very "notchy". My speedometer works fine, so I suspect it's not a cable problem. When I get around to replacing some bulbs in the cluster, I'll separate the trip odometer from the speedo unit and see what's up. With 57 years behind it, it's probably goo'd up a bit. Cleaning things is the cheapest and easiest initial solution.

Yeah, I reckon that will be my First Resort too. Let's see how a good cleansing and maybe some dry lube will do.

Back