Strange duck- NYB no A/C

Mr C

Reaction score
Being Canadian and having grown up in the great white north, it was not a surprise in the 60's for most of the cars & trucks to have no A/C. As the 70's came on, the muscle era petered out and luxury became the rage. As such, A/C became more and more of a normal "thing" even in Canada, where you often didn't need it/ use it.

This was especially true of the Formals. By the mid 70's even in Canada most (like 90 plus percent it seems) had air regardless of LA,B or RB applications. Some folks, however held to the old ways and ordered no A/C...you saw this most often in a Fury, Monaco, or Newport.

However, once in a while even some NYBs up here were ordered with no A/C. I had a 76 no A/C NYB back in the day and have no digital pics of it. This car is very similar to the one I had (colours) except mine was a non St Regis 2 Dr hdtp.

Note that these were often a "Low trim line" NYB, similar to the NY offered in 74 & 75 (as opposed to the NYB trim level). Note, no premium wheel covers, no tilt...many had no cornering lamps with an all amber lens as opposed to the amber/ clear combo. Note the MPH speedo...Canada switched to the metric system in 76 and Canadian C bodies did not get the KmH speedo until 77...I also remember the conversion stickers and thought I'd include that pic...took me back.

I came across one of these rare examples while surfing old cars and thought I'd capture it here to show what they were like.

Link:

1976 Chrysler New Yorker | Classic Cars | Peterborough | Kijiji

Pics for posterity (yes they're very small) :

$_59 (1).jpg

$_59.jpg

$_59 (2).jpg

$_59 (3).jpg

$_59 (4).jpg

$_59 (5).jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a low option NYB.

No passenger mirror, no T&T, no A/C......

That Shirley an odd duck, at least from a US perspective. LOL, but I like it. I like the color combo. you list a car for sale with no interior pictures? :realcrazy:

I wonder if it was a an ordered car by the dealer so they could advertise a Sunday paper bait and switch ad.

Most cars in the Wisconsin north area didn't have A/C as a standard until the 1980's.

May have been mandatory up there. Mr C?
It was not standard equipment for Canadian cars from Chrysler. But in this climate it is mandatory LOL! So in that sense, yes, because everyone here optioned their cars with it...whether it was the blower motor version pre 75 or the grille from 75 on.

It was not standard equipment for Canadian cars from Chrysler. But in this climate it is mandatory LOL! So in that sense, yes, because everyone here optioned their cars with it...whether it was the blower motor version pre 75 or the grille from 75 on.
That's the way it was in Massachusetts, also. Even the sales bank strippers on the lot had rear defogger or defroster.

Back