Street scene yesterday

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Two oak trees in the front yard were being trimmed back the last two days and all cars needed to be out of the drive way and the front of the house. That means I had to move four of my old cars to across the street and park in broad daylight for two days and an overnight. Not something I like but at least it is a quiet neighborhood and everyone has lived here for 10-40 years. Of course after parking I disabled the ignitions of every car and parked them bumper to bumper.

When I got home Tuesday night I was able to put them back. So I started them all up at once and proceeded to move them back. The woman in the white house came out to check on the elderly neighbors next to me and mentioned that the cars were the talk of the tree crew. So just happened to know the business owner from work elsewhere. She also had never seen them all uncovered. She is cool as her husband has a few at another house.

Since they were out overnight I spent the day washing all four of them. Now I had once made a comment over at a Hagerty forum about annoying car flippers stopping by. Some one said I was harsh as I may discourage a future hobbyist. I said when some one comes up and says a generic "nice cars" and then are "any" for sale he is not a hobbyist. Didn't ask about any particular car just asked if any for sale. That is someone fishing.

So during the long process two different men, far older than me, came by and mentioned they wondered what was under the covers. One was a hotrodder from way back when with cars from the late 30's. Clearly not flippers, huh? They just wanted to talk about when they had old cars and I stood and listened. Did learn there is a 61 Caddy down the street, under a cover that I have seen, where the elderly woman kept one of her husbands three Caddy's after he died. So far she isn't ready to give it up. Learned other things about the neighborhood people, the City and permits.
Four_cars.jpg

Ah, but the correct plate would be blue/gold. In fact the Mustang has a blue/gold plate that would be correct for 1973. I have a set of black plates that are correct for 1968 in the garage to put on. From what I have read I might be able to put the blue/gold plates on the Dodge if I find someone at the DMV who isn't well versed as to the exact years one can use YOM plates.

Of course, I have to have the nerve to go into the DMV. What with everybody trying to go in for their 2020 domestic airline security pass, and the god awful lines, it might not happen till 2020.

As I tell people, for the 73 get the Legacy black plates in a Custom (something that could have been done in 73) and paint them blue. Once on the car nobody would know they were not original 73 plates.

If your blue plates were original to that specific car you can have them reassigned to that car. I have done this on a couple cars.

Alan

When the Dodge was pulled out of storage by the young male who bought it he wasn't well versed in how the DMV would handle things. No doubt out of the system and so new plates required but one can decline returning the old plates to the DMV. They could then be switched back to the car later but he gave them up.

My Mustang came into the state in 1973 and has the three number/three letter blue/gold plate. First letter being "J" which is good for 1973. Not original to the car but I have read of several instances where people were able to use YOM on a car not too far past 1970 because the DMV service person didn't question it especially if you give the impression that you know this can be done.

Who doesn't know a legacy black plate has been painted blue??? Obviously not someone with good eyesight.

Back