Suggestions for carburetor for 1967 imperial

67imperial

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a 67 imperial and have been running a double pumper that just pours gas into the intake. Any suggestions on what carburetor i should run? Or maybe someone has one for sale i can slap on? Thank you in advance

The stock OEM carburetor might have been a Holley 4160 vac secondary carburetor of about 600cfm. It worked good for the first few years, until the gaskets started to deteriorate. Gaskets are much better now, but Holley has flaked their current carburetor offerings quie a bit from what they were. Screw-in air bleeds and 4-corner idle circuits to make them more universal in nature. As if thier main emphasis is on their EFI systems. Parts for the older carbs are still hiding in the nooks and crannies of the Holley website, but not in plain open sight as in the past, it seems.

Many late-1960s Chrysler and Imperial owners opted to get their Holleys replaced with similar OEM Carter AFBs, which ran forever with no durability issues. In the current time, I would lean toward the AVS2 Edelbrock of about 600cfm with an electric choke. Many have commented on the better throttle response the primary side annular discharge venturis offer. That's what I'd gravitate toward, all things considered.

Double pumper? Not sure WHY people tend to gravitate toward that carburetor for a street car with a OEM cam in their OEM motor? I remember hearing of some trailer-towing owners with 454 Chevrolet tow rigs who bought them as in their application, the vac secondaries could open unexpectedly, so they needed a manual-secondary carb for better throttle control. Otherwise, no real need for such, to me.

You will need the corresponding throttle linkage adapter which Edelbrock sells to bolt to the carb's linkage hookup to adapt it to Chrysler linkages and cruise controls. Just use the existing throttle linkage stud.

Before Edelbrock came out with their AVS carburetors, the "go-to" carb was the Edelbrock AFB 600cfm electric choke carburetor. In general, though, the AVS2 offers the improved primary venturi items, as the AFBs still have the prior types of primary venturis.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back