Suspension renewal, logical order.

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those guys that likes to figure the logistics of the project ahead time to minimize the surprises. The whole suspension on the car will eventually be replaced. After I get the car running, and the brakes done, I'm going to work on the suspension.

My first question can I just change out the shocks in the back and front first, and deal with the springs later this winter? Right now it bucks like a wild bronco, the shocks are completely gone.

I think I found one place that I can buy new leaf springs in Michigan, but I know of a place a couple hours away that will re-curve my old ones. They are known and recommend, in central Ohio, by numerous car guys. I know the springs are original and are sitting completely flat. Any advantage over new verses re-curving the old?

Last question any long term bad effect leaving the rear end jacked up under the axle housing? The springs look awful reverse curved and tucked up in the wheel well. It makes it easy to get to everything that I'm working on right now, but it might be sitting like that for a month.

I don't see an issue in replacing the shocks first and the other suspension components at a later date. That being said, when doing the front suspension, I would do it all in one fair swoop, control arm bushings, ball joints, sway bar bushings, strut bushings, etc. You will probably be able to use your existing torsion bars; I reused mine. As for the rear springs, check the cost of the re-arc vs. replacements. I bought replacements from Eaton and have been very satisfied. I would say go with a replacement set if it fits your budget.

When jacking up the car for the long term, I would place the jack stands under the spring mounting plates directly under the axle. This will give you the height you need and prevent the axle from sagging. Same goes for the front. Put the jack stands under the lower control arms closest to the wheel as possible. I left my car jacked that way for a week when the wheels were getting painted.

Of course you can replace just the shocks, but with everything else being old and worn out you'll probably see minimal improvement. A complete replacement of front end parts as rexus said is highly recommended.
I have replaced several sets of leaf springs over the years in various 70 and 71 Polaras I have owned. I have always used Springs and Things in PA.
http://www.springsnthings.com/

Word of advice, when you do replace your springs, purchase new U bolts and bushings. You will regret not doing so.

I don't see an issue in replacing the shocks first and the other suspension components at a later date. That being said, when doing the front suspension, I would do it all in one fair swoop, control arm bushings, ball joints, sway bar bushings, strut bushings, etc. You will probably be able to use your existing torsion bars; I reused mine. As for the rear springs, check the cost of the re-arc vs. replacements. I bought replacements from Eaton and have been very satisfied. I would say go with a replacement set if it fits your budget.

When jacking up the car for the long term, I would place the jack stands under the spring mounting plates directly under the axle. This will give you the height you need and prevent the axle from sagging. Same goes for the front. Put the jack stands under the lower control arms closest to the wheel as possible. I left my car jacked that way for a week when the wheels were getting painted.
Eaton seems to be the only one supplying leaf springs for our 300's. I couldn't remember the name before you mentioned it, that was the store out of MI I was trying to think of, so that gives me the confidence to order from them.

I noticed that Eaton gives you an option of adding to the factory height. Did you go for original or change the ride height? I was leaning toward adding an inch to my ride height pro/cons or is it totally the taste of the car owner.

Last edited:
Its a matter of preference . I always get the one inch over stock height. In my mind it gives the springs room to settle in a and if I have a loaded trunk with coolers and luggage with four people still in the car it still keeps a nice posture

Its a matter of preference . I always get the one inch over stock height. In my mind it gives the springs room to settle in a and if I have a loaded trunk with coolers and luggage with four people still in the car it still keeps a nice posture

That's kind of my thought too. Plus the fact that there is 6 feet of trunk back there from the center of the axle. That inch will make a different of whether I bottom out on some driveways.

Bottoming out isnt the issue but rear end sag may be. When I go to various larger shows there are at least four people in my car plus a trunk load of luggage.

Back