TANKS, ENGINE BAY, AND OTHER MECHANICAL

SHARKBOY

Reaction score
Hello everyone, First time poster here.
Just picked up a 1966 Plymouth Fury I to save from the crusher. It has the Poly 318, 727 trans, factory A/C. My question is in regards to the tanks and fuel system for the vehicle. Im doing an engine bay clean up in the process of restoring this vehicle so i will be trying to tuck all wires and hoses out of plain sight.
1) - From the mechanical fuel pump on the side of the block there is a line that runs up to the factory carburetor. the line runs through what looks to be a fuel pressure regulator and then to the carburetor. The other line comes off the fuel pump and runs through the radiator support to a coolant jug the previous owner just stuck in there. Not sure what that line is for or if it is needed. I believe it is a return line from the pump to return fuel back to the tank. if anyone has any ideas on if it is need or not and if it is needed where does it go or where can I place it?
2) - There is no coolant overflow tank or washer reservoir tank. I have found some billet aluminum replacement universal containers that are available on the popular racing sites, has anyone relocated the coolant reservoir or washer reservoir to behind the front grille? There seems to be a perfect location behind the grille or inside of one of the fenders since there is so much empty space in there. Ideas?

20230121_112109.jpg
20230121_112115.jpg
Any help on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

20230121_112134.jpg

20230121_112146.jpg

I’m guessing that the jug is replacing the fuel tank. There should be a filter where you say a regulator is. I don’t think your car had an overflow tank for the cooling system. Back in the day it just dumped out on the ground. Not to say you couldn’t add one to it.
Better take a look at the factory tank and see what the situation is with it.
Good luck and let’s see some more pics!

i assume whats going on here was a previous attempt to get the car running...the one gallon oil/antifreeze jug stuck in front of the radiator support would be filled with gasoline...a hose goes from that to the inlet (back) side of the fuel pump....someone was trying to get the car to run on fresh gas in the jug instead of whatever is currently in the gas tank...which could be stale, rusted solid or plugged...you'll find the original line attached to the stub frame rail ...it ends within a couple of inches of the pump...there is no return line on your model...yes radiator overflow just dumped on the ground...the radiator would only be filled within about an inch of the top, allowing heat expansion to fill that area...so it was kind of self regulating...if you overfilled it it just blew out the excess till it reached its happy spot...if you go for a coolant recovery system you need to change the radiator cap to one that allows the coolant to be sucked back in from the overflow tank when it cools down...i believe recovery systems were introduced more for enviornmental reasons than performance ones....the washer resevoir is a commonly reproduced item...i believe i got mine from Mancini

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the overflow I installed from summit and how I cleaned up a bunch of loose wires strung everywhere, unfortunately not much I could do about where they all group at the bulkhead. Hope this gives a few ideas or help. Its well worth picking up a new engine wire harness, many of my engine wires insulation was very brittle and cracked upon moving it from so many years of heat exposure.

IMG_5426.jpeg

IMG_5427.jpeg

IMG_5428.jpeg

IMG_5525.jpeg

IMG_5528.jpeg

IMG_5530.jpeg

"Here's a pic of the overflow I installed from summit and how I cleaned up a bunch of loose wires strung everywhere, unfortunately not much I could do about where they all group at the bulkhead. Hope this gives a few ideas or help. Its well worth picking up a new engine wire harness, many of my engine wires insulation was very brittle and cracked upon moving it from so many years of heat exposure"
That is about what I am going for... The whole Vehicle is getting rewired due to a mouse problem when purchased. You can't see in my photos but just about every coolant hose has been chewn through. Going to be installing a 2018 WK Power Distribution block to aide in replacement of the Factory Fuse Block and allow for additional power sources for the Electronic fan and 3 core radiator that will wind up in the vehicle. Your build looks very clean, thanks for sharing.

let me know if theres anything you need when doing your restoration, I still have some parts left from a 66 fury III I parted out

The line from the mechanical fuel pump to the carb should have an inline fuel filter like this. Mine is a 383 but the routing should be similar.

DSCF2286.JPG

@SHARKBOY
If you have interest in any of these tanks, LMK and we can work out a fair price.
All are unused except for the Moroso.
The stainless 'Moon-ish' tank would require a cap, which is a gas-cap type. (I don't have one for it)

But Sharkboy hasn't posted since Jan 21, so if anyone else interested just send me a PM and we'll give him a few days for 1st-right of refusal?

1675723779220.png

@SHARKBOY
If you have interest in any of these tanks, LMK and we can work out a fair price.
All are unused except for the Moroso.
The stainless 'Moon-ish' tank would require a cap, which is a gas-cap type. (I don't have one for it)

But Sharkboy hasn't posted since Jan 21, so if anyone else interested just send me a PM and we'll give him a few days for 1st-right of refusal?

View attachment 580704
Hey bud thanks for the offer and sorry for any delays with posting or updating this thread. The project is on my back burner when all other 3 vehicles are apparently in cahoots with each other and go down one after the next, money is dispersed elsewhere.

I'm looking for black tanks mainly that can be hidden easily the goal is to not be able to see a single wire in the engine bay minus the plug wires of course. I'm going with KillerGlass coolant tubes with LEDs in them and a complete rework of the whole body.

I appreciate the offer for the parts you have and am opening them up to anyone else on this thread that may be interested. I am looking for sport fury/fury 3 taillight assemblies to modify for the "challenger" look taillights that I will be manufacturing. I will see If I can get a photo of what im looking for tomorrow. The only other thing I could use is some insight to like factory things for the vehicle such as coolant hose routing and fuel line routing on the frame from the factory

they are the same and super expensive if you can actually find a set of NOS. The wagon is the only one I've been told that is different

Is the fury 3 taillights the same as sport fury?
lol and before you ask, the ones from the car I parted out were cracked severely where the bulb sits behind. I have an extra set I picked up a while back to hold onto for my restored 66SF as a just in case. You might try Hiltop auto parts or herbs parts if looking for some otherwise troll ebay.

Here's a pic of the overflow I installed from summit and how I cleaned up a bunch of loose wires strung everywhere, unfortunately not much I could do about where they all group at the bulkhead. Hope this gives a few ideas or help. Its well worth picking up a new engine wire harness, many of my engine wires insulation was very brittle and cracked upon moving it from so many years of heat exposure.

View attachment 577450

View attachment 577451

View attachment 577452

View attachment 577453

View attachment 577454

View attachment 577455
Love your plug wire setup. Was just wondering what i could do with my 440

Love your plug wire setup. Was just wondering what i could do with my 440
those brackets are readily available at jegs or summit. I just took some 1/2" aluminum rod and cut to length to raise them up above the exhaust manifolds then had a machine shop drill the centers slightly larger diameter than the longer bolts I picked up that go into the bottom two valve cover bolt holes.

I also Had a flat piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet cut approximately 12" long and 1" wide then contoured the edge to sit along the other side of the valve cover on the passenger side then used the same aluminum spacers to create a bracket to mount the loomed wire harness on so it doesnt just sit loose on top of the engine along the edge of the intake manifold.

That is about what I am going for... The whole Vehicle is getting rewired due to a mouse problem when purchased. You can't see in my photos but just about every coolant hose has been chewn through. Going to be installing a 2018 WK Power Distribution block to aide in replacement of the Factory Fuse Block and allow for additional power sources for the Electronic fan and 3 core radiator that will wind up in the vehicle. Your build looks very clean, thanks for sharing.
I know what you mean I'm looking for a replacement engine harness myself, I can only hope to get mine somewhere near how yours looks.

Back