Testing Drive 77 Newport

streetmachine

Reaction score
Anything in particular I should notice or look for on this car? We already know it has lean burn. I some models of cars drive differently and can make noises specific to that design. Anything I really need to pay attention to on the drive? Thank you in advance.

*In the title I meant Test Driving a 77 Newport. It's been a long day lol.

Do a reverse brake stand...see if the tranny slips. Of course, not all out WOT thing, just power it up in reverse with firm foot on the brakes. Nothin on these cars can't be addressed. Rust is about all that kills them.

Steering will seem like it's loose or out of adjustment if you never driven one of these cars before. That's normal power steering pump action for these cars.

Steering will seem like it's loose or out of adjustment if you never driven one of these cars before. That's normal power steering pump action for these cars.

It's like the power steering I had in my old Lil Red Express then I'll love it.

I plan on opening it up a little. I don't expect a power house of this car especially if it has 2.76 gears and that's not the purpose of this car.

Check each setting on the HVAC as you're driving around.

Posted via Topify on Android

Thanks commando1. I will do just that. I already did the compressor test at idle. I'm hoping just for a recharge of A12 if I can find a shop that here. I'll figure it into the price of the car.

Thank you everyone. Now, the big question and I'm not sure but, do you all consider this rusty?
cbarg1.jpgcbarg2.jpg

cbarg1.jpg

cbarg2.jpg

If the left and right trunk wells aren't rusted, that's a big plus.
Also try and peak under the rocker panel moldings.
The Dutchman panel?? You'll have to pull the vinyl.

If the left and right trunk wells aren't rusted, that's a big plus.
Also try and peak under the rocker panel moldings.
The Dutchman panel?? You'll have to pull the vinyl.

commando1,

Thank you, I didn't see much rust. Mainly surface from what I saw. The rockers looked okay but, I'll take one more look at them.

Back