Thoughts on the value of a 1959 Dodge Coronet?

This past year there were a 57, both a Dodge and a Plymouth projects , different sellers, I think one was a four door and one was a two door for sale on Craiglist's that were sort of close to me that the asking price was far closer to the prices I've mentioned.

The pictures were plenty and at the prices looked very reasonable and were for sale for longer than I would have expected.

Every day I would review the ad's and it took incredible restraint for me not to go get them.

I don't decide today I want THIS car and will accept nothing else and inevitably end up over paying for one.

I look through the ads for sale occasionally and if something catches my eye that I think the price is worth it I'll go take a look.
15 years ago, these cars would get snatched up quickly as soon as they were posted online, to what you have mentioned above, goes to my new observation that there is a recent decline in interest in these finned mopars. So maybe now is a good time to pick em up, deals to be had. My figures are based on what I've experienced over the years so maybe values are less now.

This past year there were a 57, both a Dodge and a Plymouth projects , different sellers, I think one was a four door and one was a two door for sale on Craiglist's that were sort of close to me that the asking price was far closer to the prices I've mentioned.

The pictures were plenty and at the prices looked very reasonable and were for sale for longer than I would have expected.

Every day I would review the ad's and it took incredible restraint for me not to go get them.

I don't decide today I want THIS car and will accept nothing else and inevitably end up over paying for one.

I look through the ads for sale occasionally and if something catches my eye that I think the price is worth it I'll go take a look.
For sure. I don't look everyday at what's for sale so I'm not 100% up on the market but I know the 59 dodge and 58 plymouth hardtops are hot stuff. Sedans, maybe not so much but still fairly rare. There was a coronet 4 door near me awhile ago for like 2500 with all the glass broken out of it, caved in roof, bullet holes.. but otherwise complete. It vanished. I can't imagine someone bought it to fix but maybe. Dude was asking 2500 and I thought that was too much.. maybe not but I'm not a buyer

For sure. I don't look everyday at what's for sale so I'm not 100% up on the market but I know the 59 dodge and 58 plymouth hardtops are hot stuff. Sedans, maybe not so much but still fairly rare. There was a coronet 4 door near me awhile ago for like 2500 with all the glass broken out of it, caved in roof, bullet holes.. but otherwise complete. It vanished. I can't imagine someone bought it to fix but maybe. Dude was asking 2500 and I thought that was too much.. maybe not but I'm not a buyer
I feel the 57-58's are more popular than the 59's but would never turn down a 59.
Owning and having owned 57-58 in both Dodge and Plymouth I guess one could say I'm biased.

Thanks for all the comments.

The 2 cars I'm looking at are very different. One is a 4 door that runs and drives, looks complete with a nice interior and floors and is $8k. The other is a 2 door that does not run and needs some repairs on the trunk but is otherwise complete. That 2 door is $7k. The thought of a running/driving car is nice, but I'm leaning towards the 2 door as I really like that look more.

Yeah, I did see that craigslist listing. The seller, unfortunately, does not respond to emails, calls or anything. I even found their ad on Facebook and they don't respond there either. I just wanted to look at the cars...no luck. Not sure the point of putting cars up for sale and then not responding to interested buyers.

I'm not familiar with the 2 doors but I think in the photo of the 59 Dodge wagon I see a Plymouth Fury (?).

about 4 years ago i found a 59 cornet 4 door. fairly solid 45000 miles. it ran needed brakes. interior was decent. sold it for 3000$ went to germany nobody in this country showed interest. the guy who bought it was estatic to get it. ive found four doors seems noone has interest in them. then i part them and everyone gets there panties in bunch. just did it with a 57 custom royal 4 door

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1959-dodge.1109591/

Last edited:
about 4 years ago i found a 59 cornet 4 door. fairly solid 45000 miles. it ran needed brakes. interior was decent. sold it for 3000$ went to germany nobody in this country showed interest. the guy who bought it was estatic to get it. ive found four doors seems noone has interest in them. then i part them and everyone gets there panties in bunch. just did it with a 57 custom royal 4 door

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1959-dodge.1109591/
LOL, I remember seeing your ad for that car somewhere.
It was another ad I kept going back to but then telling my self Don't do it, Don't do it, Don't do it.
I had one project going at the time and really didn't want to bring home another.

That was a shame it wouldn't sell, what a low cost way for someone to get into the hobby and have a car you wouldn't see outside of maybe a Mopar show.

However, I have noticed prices falling slightly for these finned cars as unfortunately interest in them is declining so you may have opportunities to buy one at a reasonable price soon.

If your interested I found this opportunity at the mopar spring fling. The guy was asking $4,500 and it’s a 2 door hardtop beautiful 1959 Desoto!

She may still be available, but it’s definitely a project car. Cool factor 10 out of 10!

View attachment 658883

View attachment 658884

View attachment 658885
Beautiful as is. Love fins

I sold a 59 Coronet 4door sedan two years ago for $8500. It was a nice running 326/Powerflite car painted in red and white. Had some rust in the floors and some spots on the body had been filled with Bondo or JB Weld, but very presentable with a "backyard" restoration. A 2door would have gone for more, but are harder to find.

I currently have a 58 Coronet 2dr Hardtop "Spring Special" that I plan on selling this summer. White car with a 325/Powerflite engine/transmission that has had the floors replaced and then the restoration "stalled". It sat for a couple years and needs some body work, but will be a beautiful car when done.

I also have a 57 Coronet D500 Hemi 4dr Hardtop (not sedan) that I need to sell (I am turning 75, and don't have the energy that I once had). Red and white, with the 325/Hemi/Torqueflite. Pretty solid car that needs some TLC in a couple spots that I started working on last Summer.

Both cars are located in Ohio, and if interested send me a Private Conversation and I will take some pictures. I plan on listing these cars later, once I get a few things sorted out on them, but if anyone is interested, you can save some cash by saving me some labor.

Larry (Akron, Ohio)

That's a big block.. looks too small to be an RB but maybe.. it's probably a 361/383. It has a generator so it's an early B engine 59-61.

Back