Thread pitch of front brake cylinder line nut, 68 Chrysler?

WissaMan

Reaction score
Northeast PA, 10 minutes from Knoebels Grove
I bought a set of steel braided soft lines from Inline Tube and it's been a disaster so far.

When I went to install the rear line, I discovered that all three lines had the wrong size female end on them. I communicated with Inline support and they sent me new fittings...twice (the first replacement set they sent me also were wrong)

Now when I go to install the front lines, I discover the thread pitch on the end that goes to the brake cylinder does not seem to match the original. Inline is asking me to confirm the thread pitch of the original. I've tried looking it up on the web but can't find any references. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Here's what I'm seeing. I sent them this same picture but I guess it didn't help them...

fitting.png

Go to autoparts store and screw into adapters to find out, of just use adaptors

I don't think you can use those lines.

It's been some time since I've done front wheel cylinders, but don't they use a flat seat with a copper washer?

The braided lines you have appear to have a tapered seat.

I don't think anyone makes an adapter to go between the two.

The thread systems they used were completely different between the tapered fittings and any other style of fittings to prevent people from mixing things up.

Jeff

It seems to me that a fitting with a bronze washer is on a lot of cars and they just have to match it up.

So... Why do you want the SS brake lines? We used to run them on an autocross car because it gave a slightly firmer pedal (in theory) but that was the only plus.

Below is from my order receipt. Yes, I know #2 doesn't show Chrysler but when you put in 68 Chrysler this item comes up. I called them on the phone and the guy on the other end assured me it was the correct part and explained they just didn't have enough room in the description to put every model those fit (i.e. Chryslers). After all this, now I think that sounds like BS, but even still, #1 didn't fit as delivered either, they had to send me a different fitting to put on it.

As for the "why", I figured "why not?". I put SS braided lines on my Toyota MR2 and I don't know if I really felt much difference but I figured it can't hurt, right?. I never though it would turn into such a hassle and delay my work so much :BangHead:

upload_2021-7-20_11-16-38.png

There's not enough info on their website to come to any conclusions.

Looking at Rock Auto, the other listed applications do use similar hoses to Chrysler.

It's a shame you didn't wait a little longer, since now the hoses you bought are out of stock.

As far as trying to update to the braided hoses, you troubles fall into the "no good deed shall go unpunished" category. You try to get a premium product and get screwed in the process.

Inline Tube makes good stuff, but they don't have the most forgiving customer service. Hopefully you can get your money back without a big fight.

Sadly, all the new major brand standard hoses are made by the Chinese. I think you end up with Sunsong hoses regardless of who you get them from now.

Here's a seller on ebay that says they make the hoses in house:

BRAKE HOSE SET Chrysler 300, 1968 - Front Drum | eBay

They also sell braided hoses:

STAINLESS BRAKE HOSE SET Chrysler 300, 1967 1968 - Front Disc | eBay

I've had good luck with these hoses in the past. They are made in Argentina of all places:

CHRYSLER 300 DRUM BRAKE HOSE FRONT REAR SET X3 67 68 1967 1968 | eBay

I had purchased a major brand hose for a Chrysler and it had the wrong end on it. I remembered that I had a set of the Argentinian hoses in my parts collection, and the hose fit perfectly.

Jeff

Typically the fitting are 9/16-18 and 1/2-20. Napa has adapters to 3/16 flare for both. The 9/16-18 is an oddball pitch used mostly by Chrysler.

Just as big of an issue is that the new hoses don't have much or any of a flat shoulder for the washer to seat on.

brake hose.JPG

Send 'em back.

Jeff

yeah and they told me they don't have fittings that do have the flat shoulders. I assume the brake cylinder doesn't have any kind of taper that that would snug into? (I can't look right now)

EDIT: ehh nevermind, I asked for a refund. I'm done wasting my time trying to make these fit. It's already set me back weeks, time to cut my losses. I'll just order a set of regular lines from Rock Auto.

Last edited:
Back