Time to get my grandpas fury going

awillard95

Reaction score
I have a 65 Plymouth sport fury 383 car. My grandpa bought it in the mid 70s with no reverse for $100. He dropped the pan changed fluid&filter and drove it till my mom got out of high school in 89. She hasn’t been on the road since and me and my grandpa was gonna start working on it when I graduated and started working, but unfortunately he passed away shortly after. I’ve let the car sit for 9 years since, but the times come to get it back to gather. Car is very rough but means a lot to me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

11053AA6-1F8D-46A0-A353-5C8A2F27000D.png

F28AF8C5-B692-4416-800D-873812910394.jpeg

What are your plans for it. A nice driver or a full restoration? I would get it running and road worthy first then decide about the cosmetic stuff. Should be nice when it's done.

Welcome to the group. Most the info. you'll need is right here. Projects like this always seem to take more time/$$ than expected, but when done you'll be taking a ride in the same Fury your grandpa did. NOTHING takes the place of that. I'd say get it running/'safely operational, then approach the rest as you go. Where in NC are you? At least one or two others on this list are in NC. Good luck with it.

Brakes and steering (looks like you already did tires) first. A thorough deep-clean inside and out; trunk and engine compartments, too. Remove and clean the gas tank - reinstall.

What are your plans for it. A nice driver or a full restoration? I would get it running and road worthy first then decide about the cosmetic stuff. Should be nice when it's done.
Plan to just make it a driver so I can enjoy it then work on making it nicer over time.

Welcome to the group. Most the info. you'll need is right here. Projects like this always seem to take more time/$$ than expected, but when done you'll be taking a ride in the same Fury your grandpa did. NOTHING takes the place of that. I'd say get it running/'safely operational, then approach the rest as you go. Where in NC are you? At least one or two others on this list are in NC. Good luck with it.
I’m located in stokes county NC and thank you I hope to be able to drive it some before summer is over. Having a hard time getting parts. I waited 2 months for the wheels to come in and used Craig at mobile parts for all my brake parts so far.

Brakes and steering (looks like you already did tires) first. A thorough deep-clean inside and out; trunk and engine compartments, too. Remove and clean the gas tank - reinstall.
I have done the brakes and have ordered a new gas tank due to original being little to far past reusing unfortunately. I have a rebuild kit for the gear box and pump hopefully can get done here in a couple weeks

Welcome! Glad you're restoring your grandfather's car!
I wish I had a car from one of my grandparents. Although my dad's dad tended to drive utility cars, in other words, a four-door that would get him to and from work. The last one he gave to a cleaning lady so that she could come and clean their house. She did not know that she was supposed to add oil to the car, or change the oil. She locked up the engine and the car was junk.

Welcome! Glad you're restoring your grandfather's car!
I wish I had a car from one of my grandparents. Although my dad's dad tended to drive utility cars, in other words, a four-door that would get him to and from work. The last one he gave to a cleaning lady so that she could come and clean their house. She did not know that she was supposed to add oil to the car, or change the oil. She locked up the engine and the car was junk.
I am very happy to have the car! He loved it and normally only drone 2wd 6cyl trucks and what else he could find cheap. He actually made a trailer hitch for this car when he got it. All he seen was a big block and a opportunity haha

Welcome! Along with the fuel tank, replace ALL of the rubber sections of the fuel line, too. Ethanol'd fuels deteriorate the rubber from the inside out, so they might look good on the outside and be getting ready to fail from the inside.

These cars were great when new. This one can be that way again. The '65-'68 C-body cars were some of the stoutest cars Chrysler ever built, from my observations and experiences. Keep us posted on your progress.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Welcome! Along with the fuel tank, replace ALL of the rubber sections of the fuel line, too. Ethanol'd fuels deteriorate the rubber from the inside out, so they might look good on the outside and be getting ready to fail from the inside.

These cars were great when new. This one can be that way again. The '65-'68 C-body cars were some of the stoutest cars Chrysler ever built, from my observations and experiences. Keep us posted on your progress.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Thank you and that is my plan. I’m going to replace all rubber and steel lines along with the fillers and all components. Tank looked bad enough to make me want to get rid of all the old.

Back