U Joints on driveshaft

66furys

Reaction score
I have replaced a ton of U joints, some on cars, some on ag machines. Found a great note from Woods driveshafts showing how to simply tap the joint and inertia will push out the joint caps....great video. But, after finding a front joint a bit loose, I began to review what my car uses. ALL of the notes on here, on the interweb, and online are of no help whatever....a lot of talk about the 1310, 1330 and 1350, that do not apply, since these are outer retainer or solid cap types. This one has the internal clips and are normally either 7260 or 7290. OK, I measured mine that seem to be the smaller. And, guess what, when you shop them on many sites they do not use this nomen....they sometimes provide the cap and cross dimensions....and of course, you measure mine by the inner clip spacing, not the outside width. If I search by the 7260, I get products. But, I do not get this on many of the sites I reviewed today, from the car filter. I just find this interesting, and will likely have to order from dimensions, not by car type, since it is a pig in a poke....as have been many incorrect parts that arrive in the driveway. Interesting.

should be 7260...the real spicer ones i got from NAPA were physically larger cap end to cap end than the factory ones so they stuck further out of the loops on the driveshaft even though the clips were in the same location as the originals...this way the needle bearings and shafts were longer than the originals so they would be stronger...kinda why i paid too much for them at NAPA so i could actually have them in my hand and measure them and even then i thought they were wrong because you had to put pressure across the caps to fight the seals to try to make a measurement between the snap ring grooves...from there you have the differences whether you wanted no grease fitting (strongest), grease fitting in the cross, or grease fitting on one of the caps which varied across the brands even though it was the same size joint

Last edited:
I have replaced a ton of U joints, some on cars, some on ag machines. Found a great note from Woods driveshafts showing how to simply tap the joint and inertia will push out the joint caps....great video. But, after finding a front joint a bit loose, I began to review what my car uses. ALL of the notes on here, on the interweb, and online are of no help whatever....a lot of talk about the 1310, 1330 and 1350, that do not apply, since these are outer retainer or solid cap types. This one has the internal clips and are normally either 7260 or 7290. OK, I measured mine that seem to be the smaller. And, guess what, when you shop them on many sites they do not use this nomen....they sometimes provide the cap and cross dimensions....and of course, you measure mine by the inner clip spacing, not the outside width. If I search by the 7260, I get products. But, I do not get this on many of the sites I reviewed today, from the car filter. I just find this interesting, and will likely have to order from dimensions, not by car type, since it is a pig in a poke....as have been many incorrect parts that arrive in the driveway. Interesting.
OK, if I'm reading this correctly, I think you have an earlier driveshaft or one out of a different model.

Does it have U-joints like this? More Information for SKF UJ354

I picked those because that's what is on my '65 300L.

Does it have a double U-joint in the front?

Back