Van’s Auto gas tank

Installed one of their tanks in ayliar's 70 300 TNT. He may have to Massage the seems down with a two by four and A dead blow hammer. Other than that the tank itself it's fine. Be sure to use a OEM fuel tank sending unit. There are problems with the aftermarket items in both manufacturer and accuracy oh, just an FYI for you. Was not aware of the crack vent lines but as the photos revealed it seems to be a problem. Still their reputation is quite good and I have bought many items from them with no problems.

I recently (this month) bought one of them from Vans and even the sending unit was right on. Spectra has made some improvements over time now to fix the sending unit mount leaking problem, making sure the soldered tubes are solid and the sending unit finally correctly calibrated on my example at least.

About two years ago I met a Spectra rep at a trade show, I talked to him about both applications and fit and finish. He promised they would take my concerns into consideration.

By the sounds of it, they weren't BS'ing me

I don't know which vendor sold the then shiny new gas tank we got with Mathilda 5.5 yrs ago, but it has the defective vent attachment described through this thread. I've had the best result with epoxy ribbon for setting the tube firmly in place and minimizing the leak around it. The damaged tank that came with Gertrude when we bought her several months ago ALSO HAD THE SAME DEFECTIVE VENT TUBE ATTACHMENT! This didn't much matter, as the tank had been badly damaged, then poorly repaired with plastic coating on the top. I recycled it to the neighborhood. (put it over the fence by the street)

Apparently, this defect has been standard to C-body gas tank replacements, at least for slab and fuselage C-bodies for some time. If I buy another tank, I would prefer that this "feature" be remedied....

I don't know which vendor sold the then shiny new gas tank we got with Mathilda 5.5 yrs ago, but it has the defective vent attachment described through this thread. I've had the best result with epoxy ribbon for setting the tube firmly in place and minimizing the leak around it. The damaged tank that came with Gertrude when we bought her several months ago ALSO HAD THE SAME DEFECTIVE VENT TUBE ATTACHMENT! This didn't much matter, as the tank had been badly damaged, then poorly repaired with plastic coating on the top. I recycled it to the neighborhood. (put it over the fence by the street)

Apparently, this defect has been standard to C-body gas tank replacements, at least for slab and fuselage C-bodies for some time. If I buy another tank, I would prefer that this "feature" be remedied....
Was your Tank a 2 vent or a 3 vent tank. The one I installed for ayliar was a 4 vent. I simply used to plugs for the unused vent openings to seal up the tank. Apparently the tanks I think are made through Spectrum. If anyone out there knows differently please feel free to correct me and state who does make the tanks and question with the above problems.

I purchased a fuel tank and pad from Van’s about a year ago with good review. Mixup on which tank I needed but it got straightened out and fit was great.

Tweaking the arm on my sending unit worked. When I fill it now it goes beyond full and seems to travel the full range of the gauge. I'll find out better on the way to Carlisle Thursday evening.

Tweaking the arm on my sending unit worked. When I fill it now it goes beyond full and seems to travel the full range of the gauge. I'll find out better on the way to Carlisle Thursday evening.

This looks like pretty standard behavior for the sending units and gas gauges on our boats. Mine does the same thing on the 1968 gauge. The Autometer 880785 I used w the exact same tank and sending unit when mounted on our '66 read to a bit over F also. If you look at a pic of that gauge, note how the readings are NOT linear! Neither is the resistance of the sending unit. Be this as it may, the stuff works reasonably well, and I wouldn't exchange it for anything devised today with FETs and such.... I LOVE simple, reliable machines, which is why I love the slab side C bodies, (A and B bodies also!) the most of all automobiles ever made. Simplicity and reliability reached their zenith during the mid-late 1960s in Detroit.

Back