Welcome JDoe to FCBO!

JDoe

Reaction score
Hello All-

Just inherited a 1973 Newport Custom. Needs some work - I've helped restore two cars when I was a kid with my Dad & figured I'd give it a go. Looking for info & advice from armchair experts & those with far more knowledge than myself. This is a different beast..

Cheers-

JDoe

Last edited:
This is the beast. A bit of a survivor I think. 1973 Newport Custom, all original. The original owner passed it on to me.

From the last time it ran & on the truck for its ride home last week.

Now the work begins-

1: Cut out part of my bench in the garage so the whole car fits.
2: Get it running again. Hasn't been run in over 10 years so I'm pretty sure the gas is bad.
3: Fix electrical issues with the headlight switch. Gets real hot & starts going all melty. Original owner replaced it, but didn't help. Bad ground somewhere I'm guessing, but hoping to find out more reading through here.
4: Stuck brake caliper. Meh, going to do all brakes anyways, should take care of that in the process.
5: Maybe the most serious issue, maybe not having read about the transmission. It leaks, apparently out of the torque converter area. Have heard there is the one seal that might do that means pulling of the transmission. I hope that's not the one.

Plan is to restore mechanically, but keep original. It's got the standard 400 2 barrel, might look into making that a 4 barrel, but need to weigh options..:)

IM000965.JPG

20190713_124046.jpg

Welcome from Wisconsin, you've come to the right place for help and advise. Nice looking Newport.

Hello All-

Just inherited a 1973 Newport Custom. Needs some work - I've helped restore two cars when I was a kid with my Dad & figured I'd give it a go. Looking for info & advice from armchair experts & those with far more knowledge than myself. This is a different beast..

Cheers-

JDoe

Welcome

Welcome! If you need parts for your '73, @71Polara383 recently parted a '73 NYer.

Back