What wire is this?

steamboy05

Reaction score
Alright, I’m at my wits end trying to figure this out. Can anyone identify this wire? It is on a highly optioned 1966 New Yorker. I’m not sure if it goes to an option not on the wiring diagram. It runs across the left fender and is cut at both ends.

FD18228E-9F71-4D52-9379-DD39A251A11C.jpeg

It isn’t a main power supply and it is not within a loom or harness. My guess is that someone added an “accessory” at some point and then removed it. Doesn’t look factory.
What accessories don’t work?

Black is often ground. Maybe a ground wire to the battery negative or body ground at fender
Black is not necessarily ground on pre '70's Chryslers LOL..... (your second part of the statement could be plausible if coming directly from the battery.)

The heavy black wire on fender going to starter is power to activate the solenoid, and then you have the black power wire feeding one side of the Ammeter ( should be in the harness wrap).
Beyond the black negative battery, the engine to frame ground wire and horn relay ground on an old mopar, there are many black wires in the harness that carry power. There are probably more than a few guys that have blown fuses or made some sparks/smoke trying to ground a "black" wire on our cars.

If you see no wire loose from the bulkhead connector, nor anything it might connect to, then rid yourself of it. You should always use NEW wire when reconnecting old stuff which has been hacked loose. When doing so, try to match the old color if possible, or LABEL it otherwise.

Back