Wheel bearing hub assembly on FRONT!

darth_linux

Reaction score
Hi all. Was expecting the wheel bearing to be inside the front drum on my 66 Newport, but nope, there’s a separate hub assembly. Why? The FSM does not show this at all ….

IMG_2465.jpeg

A lot of the replacement front drums don't come with hubs. It looks like the studs have been replaced, so it was pressed apart and the new drum just slid on.

I did my Barracuda like this when I had to put new drums on it.

So, nothing to worry about, the hub centers the drum and the lug nuts hold it together.

A lot of the replacement front drums don't come with hubs. It looks like the studs have been replaced, so it was pressed apart and the new drum just slid on.

I did my Barracuda like this when I had to put new drums on it.

So, nothing to worry about, the hub centers the drum and the lug nuts hold it together.
Awesome. The drums are brand new, so I guess I’m set for a while!

John, whats his application on the drums?? If im hearing you right, all those brake/wheel parts are `66 Newport except the drums and studs?? Thx, Lefty71

John, whats his application on the drums?? If im hearing you right, all those brake/wheel parts are `66 Newport except the drums and studs?? Thx, Lefty71
I'm not sure what application that is... I would assume it's just an aftermarket replacement drum. From what I have seen, most of the replacement drums have different names on the boxes, but are coming from the same source.

Hi all. Was expecting the wheel bearing to be inside the front drum on my 66 Newport, but nope, there’s a separate hub assembly. Why? The FSM does not show this at all ….

View attachment 603965
That's the way my '66 Dodges are. Separate hub with the bearing, and a drum that mounts to it.

Section 22 in the Dodge FSM mentions it, but no picture.

PXL_20230630_024511466.jpg

They probable 'swaged' the studs to the drum to keep the drum in perfect alignment and true for turning the drum as if any out of alignment after the drum is turned and ground may cause vibration during braking which will be more pronounced and felt via the steering wheel. Plus it also has the added benefit of the drum not falling off while it goes down the assembly line as with the metal speed nuts you will find on each side of the rear drums on a new car that has never had a brake job.

The divorced hub/drum started in 65 on the Newport, ran till 69.
So, that's the factory setup pictured.
The big headache stopped in 64 when they were still married to each other. Fortunately, the rear 72 Newport works front and rear on the 64.

Back