Wheels, Tires, Hubcaps...

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I currently have a '68 NYer with 14" wheels. The one I had previously originally had 14" wheels, but I switched it over to 15" wheels. I'm considering switching to 15" because there aren't many tire options for 14" any more. With the previous car I ran 255/60R15 tires. With the 15's I ran a set of smooth Chrysler hub caps from the 80's.

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for wheels and tires on this one. I have to put tires on it before I can put it on the road. I still have 14" hubcaps from the previous NYer.

I was looking at a sales brochure that I have and it seems like they had hubcaps for 15" wheels. Other than the brochure I don't think I've ever seen them. I've seen you guys talk about "disc brake" hub caps, is that what I'm seeing?

I've thought about a set of Magnum 500's. I don't think that they would look bad on a 4 door sedan, but I've been cautioned about buy them from Wheel Vintiques. I've been told that their chrome is thin and rusts quickly. The other thought that I've considered is to find some steel wheels and paint them body color. Then I'll look for some hub caps.

I don't want to have a fortune in wheels.

What's your thoughts?

Is this the basic Chrysler wheel?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-63-571204

Thanks

I currently have a '68 NYer with 14" wheels. The one I had previously originally had 14" wheels, but I switched it over to 15" wheels. I'm considering switching to 15" because there aren't many tire options for 14" any more. With the previous car I ran 255/60R15 tires. With the 15's I ran a set of smooth Chrysler hub caps from the 80's.

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for wheels and tires on this one. I have to put tires on it before I can put it on the road. I still have 14" hubcaps from the previous NYer.

I was looking at a sales brochure that I have and it seems like they had hubcaps for 15" wheels. Other than the brochure I don't think I've ever seen them. I've seen you guys talk about "disc brake" hub caps, is that what I'm seeing?

I've thought about a set of Magnum 500's. I don't think that they would look bad on a 4 door sedan, but I've been cautioned about buy them from Wheel Vintiques. I've been told that their chrome is thin and rusts quickly. The other thought that I've considered is to find some steel wheels and paint them body color. Then I'll look for some hub caps.

I don't want to have a fortune in wheels.

What's your thoughts?

Is this the basic Chrysler wheel?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-63-571204

Thanks
That looks like the basic rim in a wide version yes, but you can get these off eighties dodge vans for far cheaper.

chrysler disc01.jpg

These are the 15" wheel covers I think you are referring to. I just did this swap. I got the later 15" wheels from a LeBaron or similar for about $35 each at junkyards, then used these wheel covers.

I actually have an extra set of these wheel covers (driver quality) over on the for sale board.

Carl

chrysler disc01.jpg

Carl,
What is the width on the wheels that you got? What tires are you running?

I found some that were 7" wide. As Wolfen said, you can find them on Dodge vans, but I got mine from a LeBaron M-body.

I am using Hankook Optimo H724 Tires in the P235/75R15 size. They have a 3/4" whitewall and are $67.50 at Walmart (I had them shipped to a local store and installed by my independent tire shop).

wheelcovers01.jpg

wheelcovers01.jpg

Back