Which Mopar or C-Body?

streetmachine

Reaction score
Hello, I'm here to cause you all some trouble. Just kidding, all aside I am here because since I was kid I've been around Mopars. I am younger than most of you but, have seen a lot and dealt with a lot serving in the Air Force. Over the years, I've had a 71 Challenger with a overcammed 69 383HP/727, 79 Lil Red Express with a 5.9 Magnum swap (stock cam) and everything else. I've had a 68 B-Body with a worn 318/904 manual steering with a big bench. I ended up selling over a year ago. I have now own a 90 Dakota Convertible 2wd and while it has fuel injection and the top is easy to put down I miss having a carbureted V8 in front of me. Plus it has comfy bucket seats but, it is a two seater.

I've done tons of work to the truck but, I'm at a situation where I like the truck but, I've out grown it and while I would keep it I am allowed one Mopar for myself. I like having plenty of room and I like having a trunk. One thing I have learned is no more E-Bodies especially being married. I like big trunks but, it's nice to have a back seat and the B-Body had a decent back seat but, I keep hearing about these C-Bodies and D-Bodies having bigger.

Anyways, enough rambling so here's what I'm looking at. My idea is to either sell/trade plus cash the Dakota and I'm really like the 73-74 Charger/Satellite with a 318, 360, or 400 in running/driving condition but, those are looking out of my price range 2500-4000 plus, this will be my twice a week and weekend fun car that I want to open up and maybe does a good tire roasting every once in a blue moon.

I know in a smog 318 with a small cam, cheapie intake, 600 carb and headers would be okay in the B-Body but, the I've given thought to a C-Body because of the wheel base and the available big block which I think would be equal. My choices on the C-Bodies would be a 70-78 New Yorker 4 door or coupe or a 68-74 Newport with either a 383 or 400. I've also been looking at 69-73 Imperials and New Yorkers. I have found a couple of cars for $1500-2500 but, they were a 72 and 74 Newport with a 400 2bbl. Can anyone tell me if I put a 4bbl, small cam, intake, and a better exhaust on the 400 if it will be lacking as some Mopar guys call this engine a "turd" even in that form. I still think the 400 would out perform the modded 318 in the B-Body. I don't want to spend a lot of money because this is more of a play car for me and a C-Body I think would be great but, again I have seen a few 71-74 Chargers with a 318 for $4500-$5500. Ideally, I would like to spend $1500-$3500 but, not sure which way I should go? Just looking for opinions. Thank you in advance.

The 400's big obstacle to making traditional muscle car power (ie bolt on power adders) is it's low compression ratio. I never had any issues with a 400 as a daily driver. I prefer the 4 bbls to the 2 bbls because I can never get a 2 bbl to a point where I am completely happy with it. Headers are a waste of $$ on a daily driver in my opinion...the rust out and exhaust leaks are not worth it- and you're after torque in a C body anyway.

A 400 is never a "turd" you just need to know what you're talking about when it comes to 400s- and it sounds like some of the "Mopar" guys you have encountered, don't. My friend has a 400 in a 78 NYB that is about the most angry engine I've ever seen- with stock intake and exhaust manifolds.

72-73 Imperials are indeed huge, heavy cars, but they can really move. They are complicated electrically and in regards to the A/C systems. They cannot be beat for trunk space.

It sounds like you want a muscle car with the talk of Chargers and Satellites.

Thank you. It would nice to own a muscle car but, as I've gotten older I've learned to appreciate the Imperial and New Yorker product line especially with all the new micro cars coming out as well. I prefer the two doors but, I like some of the four door cars as well. I'm still throwing around a few ideas at this point. Been missing having an old V8. Something about the rumpty and 4bbl. Yeah a muscle car would be nice but, a muscle car is not a priority considering the prices I have been seeing for most. I wouldn't consider a 73-74 Charger a muscle car. I was just thinking out loud and thought that a 440 C-Body or Imperial would be comparable to a 318 or 360 Charger. I guess there is a certain stigma with saying yeah it's got a 440 engine.

I had a worn 68 318 with a 360 2bbl cam and some headers, intake, and a worn 904 with 2.5 exhaust. It was a manual drum and steering car. Had 2.76 gears the best it ran according the prior owner was a 15.2 and 92 mph. I'm sure a gear swap would of made it ran 14s. I would been happy with a 14.9 haha. I have considered an A-Body but, I see that the wheel base is close to my Dakota so, that was off for me. The longer wheelbase of the full size cars appeals more to me.

Back