Window-age in my 77 Newport

Blish

Reaction score
I have one working window in my car, fortunately its the driver window. Ive noticed all the other windows have a unique issue. The driver rear window makes a clicking sound of sorts, but the window motor and switch works, so i suspect the track is the issue. the passenger front when i mash the switch it seems to draw power, i notice the lights dim some, but the window wont work. the passenger rear seems to be maybe drawing power but i cant tell.

Where can i find a window motor and a window track for my car? I feel like I can "rebuild" a switch easy enough and if that fails my local napa has one on the shelf for my car. They cant order a motor and track, and I cant locate a purchasable one online.

Thanks in advance -Paul

Motors should be available, I suspect, as should gears the motor runs. Channels/tracks will be OEM only and long-discontinued from Chrysler. The rubberized felt in the tracks might be available or some might be available to rebuild what you now have.

Unfortunately, "online" might not be that much help. "Phone" might be, though, to Murray Parks or similar. BUT also consider that a salvage operation normally sells "units" rather than the pieces of said saleable units. Which in this case, could mean "a complete door" unit.

BUT . . . until you get the door panels off and see what the issues with each door might be, it's pure speculation of what you really need to fix things. Might just be a simple wiring harness issue! Download a FSM from www.mymopar.com, of a similar year C-body car if yours is not listed in their listings. I suspect that any C-body car from 1974+ would wire the same, but I could be incorrect in that orientation.

Keep us posted,
CBODY67

Hi Blish: The grease in these power window assemblies will harden and result in a locked - rotor condition for the power window motor, which would correlate to a large draw of amperage, which you have noted in the dimming lights, but very little or no movement of the window.

The second issue is Chrysler uses a plastic gear to transmit the torque from the electric power window motor to the window mechanism. This was done on purpose so if a body part got caught in the window when it was going up, the plastic gear would "give" and prevent decapitation.

The clicking you are hearing is most likely the the plastic gear not engaging metal gears for the window mech. They sell replacement gears with a new gasket so you can "re-build" power window unit.

What I did with my 78 was to open all the interior door panels, remove the old grease in each motor assembly and replace it with "fresh" grease. I also removed as much old grease from the mech assembly with a tooth brush and solvent and replaces it with white lithium grease. All my windows speed up and down like new.

Warning: The PW mech. is spring loaded with very sharp metal arms - parts. It is very dangerous and you can seriously hurt yourself, unless you secure the spring mech. when you are working in the window assembly.

Do a search on this site and there are several very good posts on how to secure this assembly.

If you need help on getting the door panels off, let us know. I propose you go to Harbor Freight and buy the blue plastic interior body panel tool kit, this will help you remove the panels. It is only a few bucks and in the same auto parts isle is a huge tube of white lithium grease.

Start with a back door ; )

When you are in the door panel, you will have access to the incandescent bulbs behind the large lenses. They generate a lot of heat and suck up a lot of juice. You might want to replace then with and LED type, seeing you are in the door and have access.

I will try and find the supplier whom I ordered my replacement plastic gear.

Keep us posted.

Steve

Back