‘71 Fury - Stop light / Fuel doesn’t work

What scenario will possibly happen if the fuel line is not grounded?
If the fuel line isn't grounded, the sender can't work. The sender gets that ground through the fuel line.

The gauge works by measuring electrical resistance to ground. As the arm moves up (full tank) the resistance goes down and the gauge measures that and indicates full. Arm goes down, more resistance and it shows empty.

What scenario will possibly happen if the fuel line is not grounded?
The ground strap runs from the fuel line to the sending unit. This insures a proper ground to the sending unit because the rubber gasket on the sending unit is a non conductor and can prevent a proper ground. The lack of a proper ground will cause the sending unit to have an open circuit and be non-functional.

Dave

Today I finally found the time to swap the turn signal switch. Everything was easy to disassemble. The old switch was quickly exchanged for the new one. Unfortunately, the whole thing didn't change my problem. So now I'm going to ask a friend for help and test everything once.

FE07349A-BDD2-4902-A41D-FD0CC34EB5CA.jpeg

87BC2CC9-D1CC-4A37-A6C7-BB81E83E18AD.jpeg

D22CEBDF-B41F-48EF-A108-817277E16264.jpeg

F99AFB13-4FFD-47D6-B57C-2EDB566EE3CA.jpeg

3B2D9C52-16DB-4BE7-94E0-E094FF4EB086.jpeg

I hate gremlins, if all fails create your own circuit for the brake lights, 12v to one side of the brake light switch, the other side goes all the way to the trunk and parallel 2 aftermarket LED strip lights ( red lead ) on Amagon that you can stick on with the adhesive between the crack of the trunk and bumper.
( black lead ) goes to ground.
Make sure your brake light switch is fully depressed in a normal state against the brake pedal armature, it's a normally open circuit, press the brake, plunger comes out to complete the circuit.
Again, that is if all fails, there are many brake light circuit examples on Glugoole. Simple as hell.

Gooden Tag.

PT

I took the fury apart again. The cables all look fine. Contacts are a few oxidized. I cleaned them up and put contact spray on them.

Oil display - without function (no cable on the oil pressure sensor)
Brake - never worked
Turn signal left - is always on
Right turn signal - comes on when key is in second position (ignition on)

Interior lights kept flickering. I took out the lights.

Turn signals are cobbled together. There are no driving lights, only turn signals.

I took the fury apart again. The cables all look fine. Contacts are a few oxidized. I cleaned them up and put contact spray on them.

Oil display - without function (no cable on the oil pressure sensor)
Brake - never worked
Turn signal left - is always on
Right turn signal - comes on when key is in second position (ignition on)

Interior lights kept flickering. I took out the lights.

Turn signals are cobbled together. There are no driving lights, only turn signals.
It sounds like you are going to have to dive into the wiring diagrams and verify, repair and/or replace some of the wiring in your car. It’s not rocket science, but attention to detail will be required, so you don’t lose your mind.
Keep us updated!

I checked the cables front to back. All plugs disassembled. Checked the lamps. In the end, I guess I shouldn't have started at the front...

there's a chassis ground error!

I ran a wire to the bulb socket directly to the battery (-)...like magic the brake light is working again.

The lamp holder is corroded. I will clean these. I'm going to run a wire from the bumper to the body and hope that will do.

The fuel gauge doesn't go any further. But that's the next task.

Hello

After a lot of testing and searching I found the error. The cable has a loose contact where it passes through the rear.

Depending on how the cable is laid, everything works or doesn't work.

The apron is rusted. As soon as it gets a little colder and the weather gets worse, I will remove the apron and replace the cables.

I checked the cables front to back. All plugs disassembled. Checked the lamps. In the end, I guess I shouldn't have started at the front...

there's a chassis ground error!

I ran a wire to the bulb socket directly to the battery (-)...like magic the brake light is working again.

The lamp holder is corroded. I will clean these. I'm going to run a wire from the bumper to the body and hope that will do.

The fuel gauge doesn't go any further. But that's the next task.
On your next task, best to refer to Big John's "Gas Guage Sender Flow Chart" thread, very helpful. It might be right under this thread in Similar Threads below.

Back