1965 fury gas tank

c300g

Reaction score
i found out that the gas tank in my 65 plymouth is shot. i need to find a solution and fast! summer is coming to an end and i really want to get the car on the road.
will a 66-68 tank work if the filler is relocated? if so, where can i get one?

i found out that the gas tank in my 65 plymouth is shot. i need to find a solution and fast! summer is coming to an end and i really want to get the car on the road.
will a 66-68 tank work if the filler is relocated? if so, where can i get one?
I went through your dilema for two years trying to find a replacement. Even considered buying a tank that could be modified for the filler but a top notch welding shop said the metal was just to thin to guarantee good attachment of a filler pipe. Not the kind of thing I want hanging on the back of my car. My solution was to take the tank to an aluminum fab shop and have a reproduction made - I was going TBI anyway and needed a deeper tank at the front. $500 but what a beauty with every fitting where it belonged and it fit like a glove. They welded slosh baffel's in, vent lines and a drain plug as well. I think you're going to have to bite the bullet on this one and have one made (your choice of material) or mount a fuel cell in the trunk. Let's face it, anything you buy used is still going to be 52 years old.

I thought I saw a thread on here a couple of weeks ago, where somebody had talked to a vendor (maybe Vans?) who was working on 65 C-body replacement tanks - both rear fill and side fill. Was supposed to be in production about this time next year.

Quick fix, get a racing fuel cell, put in trunk.

Next, have a tank made, any good fabrication shop can make one that will bolt in (with factory straps).

Keep an eye out for an original in good shape or keep waiting for reproduction.

Alan

I went through your dilema for two years trying to find a replacement. Even considered buying a tank that could be modified for the filler but a top notch welding shop said the metal was just to thin to guarantee good attachment of a filler pipe. Not the kind of thing I want hanging on the back of my car. My solution was to take the tank to an aluminum fab shop and have a reproduction made - I was going TBI anyway and needed a deeper tank at the front. $500 but what a beauty with every fitting where it belonged and it fit like a glove. They welded slosh baffel's in, vent lines and a drain plug as well. I think you're going to have to bite the bullet on this one and have one made (your choice of material) or mount a fuel cell in the trunk. Let's face it, anything you buy used is still going to be 52 years old.
$500. that's a good buy. i paid $400 for a stock tank for my 66 fury 3 yrs. ago from spectrum. the make all the gas tanks. sending unit $100. and so on i had a thousand bucks in my fuel sys. and not even turned a wheel on my fury

Back