1969 Polara LOW miles 27K CL LA California

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen this car, it is nice, $9500 nice? maybe not.

The black plates are YOM and way to early for a 69.

Alan

Green is a preservative! Love every aspect of this car.

I wa about to say the same thing about the plates, those are 1963 issue and certainly not 1969 issue - my Dad's truck (w/camper) was registered in CA in '69 and had b/y ZOG series plates. Is it possible now to transfer plates to another vehicle?

All you need to do is find a black plate set that is clear. Once you have a set then you need to find a correct year sticker. With that being the case you could get your hands on a clear set of 1963 issue plates, place your 1969 sticker on it, and drive over to the DMV. Unless this car was a very early 69 purchase it should have a blue/gold plate assuming it is a CA car. Note the front plate has a 20th century year tag first and second the fact that it has tags on it at all which is wrong. The rear tag being red is either 2016, 2011, 2006 or 2001 as the colors recycle every 5 years.

Now I have found a set for my Mustang. Took quite a few years for me to find a black set that started with "W" so it would be correct for 1968.

Nonetheless, as stated the plate is wrong for the car and the seller is simply trying to appeal to those gullible enough who want a black plate. I also don't believe the 27,000 miles as the odometer shows the 2 displaced upwards too soon even if it were 27,000 miles. I like how he went onto eBay to buy the advertising material. Funny thing is when I last went to the large Mopar show up here there were only 3 C bodies out of 400 cars. All of us would have taken a trophy from 1st to 3rd. On top of that we were placed out on the periphery of the mass of cars.

Anyway priced too high for a sedan with a 318 no less. Certainly not something a collector would want. He is going to have it for awhile.

True, the black plates ran out in the middle of the 69 model year near the end of 1969.
These plates are forever a 69 model year plate, once you introduce plates into the YOM program they are forever the year you first set on them. They can be transferred and or sold but the year they can co on is forever fixed at the year you set them at.

Alan

I don't know if the plate on my 69 Fury was transferred from another car but I have documentation that shows that this plate was issued to my car new. My car was build May 24 69 and sold June 12 69 so it was at the end of the 69 production run.
Left Rear Taillight.JPG
69 registration.PNG
WarrentyRepairOrderSpeedo.PNG

I'm sure the Cali members are aware of this but this is pretty cool. CA Legacy Plates California is going to re-stamp the old plates for use on your car.

As most states have done, in PA you can register a period correct plate to your car but you have to provide the plate and send in a pic to verify that it is still legible and available as unique. That's what I did, I've got a 69 PA plate registered to my car. They are considered Antique plates so lifetime registration and no inspection which is a bonus.

Geez... lets get some pictures here...

00O0O_cVidZKI8vDD_600x450.jpg
00I0I_7efp3o364d4_600x450.jpg
00Y0Y_cwTEAczb2dU_600x450.jpg
00x0x_kQf6aTFShv0_600x450.jpg
00M0M_hsPmVb3IWMY_600x450.jpg
00b0b_bbov997YXGy_600x450.jpg
00p0p_4uBbh1e1cNQ_600x450.jpg

This may be the lowest mileage 69 polara around.. with just over 27000, orginal miles.. this car has taken 1st at every mopar specific car show I brought her to. its been combed over by experts and show judges who all believe its the real deal.. ill let the pictures do the talking and not bore you with a bunch of writings.. if your interested in perhaps a once in a lifetime chance to own a real survivor this is it.. specs are 318 2b with 727 and 8 3/4.. I broke the vin plate down in one of the pictures.. call 8054048842 with offers thank you

upload_2016-1-2_9-3-2.png

upload_2016-1-2_9-4-15.png

upload_2016-1-2_9-4-36.png

upload_2016-1-2_9-4-59.png

upload_2016-1-2_9-5-30.png

upload_2016-1-2_9-6-6.png

upload_2016-1-2_9-6-26.png

upload_2016-1-2_9-6-50.png

upload_2016-1-2_9-7-6.png

I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see wtf everybody was talking about.
Finally figured out Links weren't appearing as a link.

PicsArt_01-02-09.23.33.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if the plate on my 69 Fury was transferred from another car but I have documentation that shows that this plate was issued to my car new. My car was build May 24 69 and sold June 12 69 so it was at the end of the 69 production run.

This would be correct for an original issue plate on a 69 sold then in California.

Alan

I'm sure the Cali members are aware of this but this is pretty cool. CA Legacy Plates California is going to re-stamp the old plates for use on your car.

As most states have done, in PA you can register a period correct plate to your car but you have to provide the plate and send in a pic to verify that it is still legible and available as unique. That's what I did, I've got a 69 PA plate registered to my car. They are considered Antique plates so lifetime registration and no inspection which is a bonus.

Whereas this may be true and I have seen many of them now they. On the original 63-69 plate you couldn't get custom plates, with the Legacy Plate you can. The default sequence for the Legacy Plate (A00 00A) is different than the originals AAA 000.

So if you don't mind being partly correct he Legacy Plate is an option, otherwise the YOM is the only way.

Alan

You sparked my curiosity so I did a little research. Started finding sites that stated that 69/70 was a conversion year for the plates. According to California DMV, B/Y plates were issued as late as 1970.

CA Department of Motor Vehicles License Plate Introduction

I never trust the DMV for having correct information on their own stuff. On the YOM for commercial plates (trucks, including pickups) they extended it to 72 and included the blue plates. The fact was that the black plate on the trucks went to 72 and then changed to blue, the blue plates should never been included.

As for the cutoff/change over date I have yet to find a clear date. Having a know sale date of a car with a Blue plate (000AAA) would help.

I have seen 1970 cars at shows with late black plates on them so that leads me to believe that it was near the end of the 1969 physical year.

I hope all this talk about Black plates doesn't offend anybody or well have to start calling them 60's era correct plates.

Alan

The Y is correct for 1969. That car was registered out in Blythe. Regional offices were issued a supply of plates and when the roll out of the blue plates occurred it was not uniform. You could be buried way up in the northern reaches of Northern California and still have black plates while the San Fernando Valley was out of them much earlier. I do recall black Z plates on 1970 cars from that region when on Mobile Clinic calls deep into the woods in 1980.

Those legacy plates to me are a version of resto-mod. Reflective with 7 digits. Haven't seen one but read somewhere that the lettering spelling out CALIFORNIA is slightly different. In short legalized fakes in my book. No different than sticking chrome valve covers on your motor.

A photo in my archives
Californiablueplate_1000-700x360.jpg

Last edited:
My Dad had the CA tags ZOG168 on his 1969 Chevy C20 pickup, when he registered it there in February 1969. The reason he was able to register it as a car and not a truck was that he had a cabover camper on it. As long as the camper remained on the truck, he was legal. We stayed in CA only about nine months before moving back to CO. I still have the rear license plate from that Chevy.

just remember seeing the first of the blue PA plates, when they switched from yellow, nd thinking "well F%^K we are turning into California".
th
I actually preferred the Yellow on Blue plates. PA actually started switching back and forth between blue on yellow and yellow on blue starting in 1923 but it was a very dark blue. My favorites were the 58 to 64's. Mine is the 65 to 70 samples below. I got these images from Rick Kretschmer's License Plate Archives – Pennsylvania Index

Very interesting website.
20s PA Plates.PNG
30 to 36 PA Plates.PNG
58 to 64 PA Plates.PNG
65 to 70 PA Plates.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back