For Sale 1970 Plymouth Fury III Police Pursuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed him and has added a motor picture to the original listing on Craigs.

"shur is purdy" :). ps. battery heat shield partially visible too.

70 Fury.jpg

I believe Pete is right, gold on the '72 Polara comes to mind. Pete, my wife and I took the(your) Fury camping to Mt. Rainier in the 90's. Note where the 1 is circled on build sheet. I was told this designated a black vinyl roof. I removed blue material from under the factory trim, as previous owner tore off peeling roof.. definitely looked to be a factory install job. I don't know for sure.. anyone? I just got the car in photo, still had Colorado plates. I flew in to Denver, drove it home.
IMG_20160607_083837251.jpg

I triple checked the info by Galen Govier and it does not mention a vinyl roof at all. That is what I went by in determining to replace the cars vinyl roof or not. Does anyone know if a supervisors car had the blue vinyl roof in that year. I did also check and it came with rear bumper guards like the front ones. I'm glad I found a NOS pair on Ebay years ago.
I really love your story on camping with the car. Please share any more pictures or stories with us here or a PM message to me.

00D0D_jLy9YHVOaKN_600x450.jpg

Is it just me or does the alignment of the odo numbers look screwy? They are pretty straight across but typically the 7 wouldn't start moving up at the 4400 mark making the next row visible like that. Maybe this is due to the angle the photo is taken but until proven otherwise it's a bit of a tarnish on an otherwise near flawless car.

I used to own one of the '70 WSP Fury's and over the years have run into another 6 or so. As far as what I can tell, they were all optioned identically. The '70 Fury WSP cars were all ordered Fury lll, white with blue cloth/vinyl and carpet, E85 with dual exhaust, A/C, 3.23 open diff, power trunk, power bench, rear defrost, large front bumper guards and the black center Fury hubcaps in pursuit picture above. The only deviations that I know of are the rear bumper guards and vinyl top(on build sheet of my old WSP). I have never seen or heard of an E86 440 or 3.23 Sure-Grip in a '70 WSP. This would change in '71, when they went with the Polara Custom, all were E86 with again the 3.23 open diff.

Did we sort out whether T or U code 440's with WSP?

On the buildsheet in post #43 says from 71T&C440, it shows "PM 41 T 0" -- Fury, Medium Price Class, Four Door Sedan, 440-4 barrel (E85), 1970 model year. That right?

The car that is subject of this thread has an orange engine (post #41) indicative of U codes. Were there U code WSP 440's in 1970?

The vinyl roof thing is also interesting .. also curious to know did the Supers get vinyl roofs and/or T code cars?

"Small world" hey Pete and 71T&C440, or did you guys know of each other before this thread? :D

Last edited:
00D0D_jLy9YHVOaKN_600x450.jpg

Is it just me or does the alignment of the odo numbers look screwy? They are pretty straight across but typically the 7 wouldn't start moving up at the 4400 mark making the next row visible like that. Maybe this is due to the angle the photo is taken but until proven otherwise it's a bit of a tarnish on an otherwise near flawless car.

it looked like camera angle/parallax effects to me .. the whole photo is "askew" as speedo numbers/lines appear smaller left to right (e.g. 0-40 vs 100-140 sections), or is that how they really are? :wideyed:

If it's a parallax thing by looking "upward" at the speedo you would think the numbers above would be visible not the numbers below. I believe the mph placement is correct having seen this on a GTX. The non linear scale is to have better resolution at lower speeds.

"Small world" hey Pete and 71T&C440, or did you guys know of each other before this thread?
No we actually did not know each other until my blog on this website. I was bidding against an unknown person back when it was for sale in Colorado. If he purchased it from a US Postal worker who rebuilt the motor for his sons (16 yoa) first car then we go back further. I even have a VHS tape he made when advertised in Colorado. There was several close ups to include the odometer. I had to pay for him to rent the VHS recorder and lost the car as it went back to 71T&C440 then ?? before my guy who collected Fords and one Mopar. That guy got into a minor accident at the RF corner, never fixed it but gathered parts and that is where I come into the picture again.

Before resto pics of this car...
1970 Fury III 4-door T-Code 440
If I hadn't just bought a 67 Coronet R/T I would be trying to buy this car. Anyone want a 69 RR vert project or a nice 67 Coronet R/T 4-spd car?

IMG_20160607_163034843.jpg
No we actually did not know each other until my blog on this website. I was bidding against an unknown person back when it was for sale in Colorado. If he purchased it from a US Postal worker who rebuilt the motor for his sons (16 yoa) first car then we go back further. I even have a VHS tape he made when advertised in Colorado. There was several close ups to include the odometer. I had to pay for him to rent the VHS recorder and lost the car as it went back to 71T&C440 then ?? before my guy who collected Fords and one Mopar. That guy got into a minor accident at the RF corner, never fixed it but gathered parts and that is where I come into the picture again.

Pete has it right. Except, I was unaware of any bidding or interested buyers. Remember Hemmings Motor News? Lol That where I saw the car listed and purchased it from. I believe the car had 78K on the odo at the time of purchase. Story was it had developed a rod knock and sat in CO garage for many years. Again, the current car posted for sale is T code 440 as well and no marked box on Sure-Grip, owner added. Maybe those in charge of order forms felt the std 440 was adequate given they bought such expensive police cars to begin with. This would change in '71 as word came of reduced performance in std form? This was my '71 Polara Custom E86. This car was fast. Next door Oregon did use E86 '70 Fury's.

Before resto pics of this car...
1970 Fury III 4-door T-Code 440
If I hadn't just bought a 67 Coronet R/T I would be trying to buy this car. Anyone want a 69 RR vert project or a nice 67 Coronet R/T 4-spd car?

Another excellent contribution to this thread.
Answers a lot of questions.

1. IT was blue, but not originally.
2. IT was WSP unit P 751
3. IT was T code E85 car.
4. IT is a heckuva good resto and somebody dialed her up powertrain wise (HP specs/Suregrip, etc.).

:thankyou:
70 Fury 1.JPG
70 Fury 2.JPG
70 Fury 3.JPG
70 Fury 4.JPG
70 Fury 5.JPG
70 Fury 6.JPG
70 Fury 7.JPG
70 Fury 8.JPG
70 Fury 9.JPG
70 Fury 10.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I ran with it 26" slicks(open 3.23) at the track a few times and ran best of 14.29 at 98 mph. It had 116K on the clock and had never been apart, through TTI exhaust. Otherwise stock. Wish I still had it.

Thanks. I ran with it 26" slicks(open 3.23) at the track a few times and ran best of 14.29 at 98 mph. It had 116K on the clock and had never been apart, through TTI exhaust. Otherwise stock. Wish I still had it.

Do you know where it went after you owned it?

View attachment 81730

Pete has it right. Except, I was unaware of any bidding or interested buyers. Remember Hemmings Motor News? Lol That where I saw the car listed and purchased it from. I believe the car had 78K on the odo at the time of purchase. Story was it had developed a rod knock and sat in CO garage for many years. Again, the current car posted for sale is T code 440 as well and no marked box on Sure-Grip, owner added. Maybe those in charge of order forms felt the std 440 was adequate given they bought such expensive police cars to begin with. This would change in '71 as word came of reduced performance in std form? This was my '71 Polara Custom E86. This car was fast. Next door Oregon did use E86 '70 Fury's.

That 71 is exactly what I want , the way it sits ......Id sell my soul for one of this caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back