For Sale 1979 Dodge Magnum xe 14k mile survivor MI $6k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said many, many times that I would never buy a car unless my eyeballs or a trusted FCBO member here put eyeballs on any car I was interested in.
Agree... but boy have I been lucky when dealing within the FCBO community. My dealings with folks here have been great.

Ironically, in spite of all of this, I think that car has pretty decent potential (except for that poor grille). It has good interior color, buckets/console, the cool 3-spoke steering wheel, just needs some dye in spots. And it's important to note that nobody questioned the legitimacy of the mileage.

The underside may not be pretty, but none of us would drive it in the snow or rain, so it's not going to get any worse. The surface rust on the bottom of the body wouldn't really require full-blown pro paintwork, and all the other $$/work it might need is to be expected for a car this age/sitting so long. Not really any surprises there, if you think about it - expect to go thru tip/tail replacing all 'spoilable' items. When you're done you have a reliable 16k-mile car. Enjoy it for 5 years, you could put 20k more miles on it even, and you'd still have a low mileage car, and one that's road-ready - I don't think you'd lose much money at sale time.

I don't think we'd find a better low-mileage example around for less than $4500, I think anything preserved to the 'perfection' we want is going to have a 10k asking price. People that have those cars tend to ask big $$$. And at that point I think we'd all be balking at 10k for a non-collectible 70s car (I would, anyway).
The mileage would seem to be correct......Carmine determined that the tires on the car are original and they have not made them for nearly 35 years. I was willing to deal with the cosmetic issues IF the test drive panned out. Like I stated before, he is trying to hide something, what that is has not been determined. Let's just leave this as a warning to fellow members to be aware of the character of the seller.

The mileage would seem to be correct......Carmine determined that the tires on the car are original and they have not made them for nearly 35 years.

Well , damn.... it seems like just yesterday I was selling the darn things...

The BRAND and MODEL of tire...lol!
Actually, Yes, put on a lot of Firestone 721 tires back in my gas station days... they replaced the recalled 500's and IIRC were a mainstay until the late 80's -early 90's

Well , damn.... it seems like just yesterday I was selling the darn things...

Firestone 721's favorite tire of Cordoba's Magnums and Chargers. 7 belts 2 Steel Belts 1 I have no idea what it stood for now but I used to know....

Firestone 721's favorite tire of Cordoba's Magnums and Chargers. 7 belts 2 Steel Belts 1 I have no idea what it stood for now but I used to know....
The recalled tires were before my time, but not so much that I wasn't aware of them. We had a guy who's famous sales pitch on the gasoline islands... "Firestone 500's! Your gonna DIE!".

The recalled tires were before my time, but not so much that I wasn't aware of them. We had a guy who's famous sales pitch on the gasoline islands... "Firestone 500's! Your gonna DIE!".

I'm pretty sure the 721's had some issues early on also. I finally just got rid of a set that were mounted on some wheels I wanted to keep (shoulda junked them too). The belts were separated and blown out

I had nothing but problems with the set of 721s I had in 78. I had a vibration problem and went around in circles with Firestone insisting it was the wheels out of spec, and Ford telling me it was the tires. I finally convinced Firestone to take them off and give me a set of bias tires. All my problems went away. I haven't looked at another Firestone since, but ended up with a set on my 2013 2500.

I had nothing but problems with the set of 721s I had in 78. I had a vibration problem and went around in circles with Firestone insisting it was the wheels out of spec, and Ford telling me it was the tires. I finally convinced Firestone to take them off and give me a set of bias tires. All my problems went away. I haven't looked at another Firestone since, but ended up with a set on my 2013 2500.

Yup and there will be Firestone's on your new 2017 $100000 Ram Megacab Dually I ordered you last week....I know you like Red.....:)

Ahh... the Firestone 500.

I had a friend that stop and look at every pile of junk tires he saw, looking for Firestone 500 tires. He'd take them in and swap for new tires. Seems that Firestone (or at least the dealer he was using) would give you whatever size you wanted for a replacement. Didn't matter how much wear or what shape they were in. He didn't buy new tires for the duration of the recall... which lasted a number of years.

Sorry, you made a mistake. No Megacab for me. I wanted the 8' box, and plum crazy.

You'd have to be Plum Crazy to buy a $100000 Truck unless it said Kenworth on the front AFAIC....consider your order cancelled no hard feelings...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back