For Sale 1990 Chrysler/Maserati Turbo Convertible, D.B. Cooper connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
The LeBaron TC was a loser from the day they introduced it.
AAAH, Commando, Please don't get the '87 thru' '95 Chrysler LeBaron'z confused with the Chrysler TC Maserati of '89 thru' '91 fame. Yes it waz not one of Lido's best Ideaz but this one az Will haz mentioned is the top of the heap if you're looking. This particular 16 valve TC 5 spd. sold new for ah tad over 25K Az most did. And yes Chrysler waz still trying to empty the warehouse where they had the unsold TCs stashed well into '94. I have a friend that was in the corporation at that time take a 5 spd. TC home for the weekend in '89 and ask me if I wanted to drive it so we went for ah spin around Dearborn(burb of Detroit) and after ah couple miles and thru' several lites he realized that I wasn't using the clutch 'cept for at the red lites and went ballistic on me lol. If I bring this thing back Monday and it's broken I'm in BIG DO DO! And This guy was ah grade 12 if that tells you anything. lol Those TCs are fine little carz pal even if this one iz priced at double what they bring in todayz world, Jer

It doesn't matter how nice that car was on a weekend drive when it was new. I think Stan is saying it was a loser because it didn't sell well, looks too similar to a Lebaron, was FWD, and the interior looks too similar to the other Chrysler stuff. It was priced like a Maserati, but without the panache. Regardless of how unique it is with a 5-speed, it doesn't change that this car overall was a flop.

And then there's this one - anyone know the Chrysler connection to this one?
upload_2016-10-27_18-35-52.png

looks too similar to a Lebaron, was FWD, and the interior looks too similar to the other Chrysler stuff.
Bingo.
I knew they are two completely different cars.
Most people didnt.

convertible-1990.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1hpHMYegM7ul6HZ-VZdbtmAmheL6hjAaY97GV54Y0CytSbEumMg.jpg

Even if the TC was the greatest car in the world, I'm not spending Maserati money for a car that was indistinguishable from a LeBaron.

Last edited:
I had a 1992 LeBaron GTC just like the one in the pic below except a convertible (triple black) for a few years...it had the Chrysler 3.0 NON-turbo V-6 and that thing hauled ***!! not to mention how much p**sy I got driving that thing around...

1992 Lebaron GTC.jpg

I never accepted these cars as part of Chrysler's history. A red headed step child that needs to be ignored

All points well taken and agreed with gentlemen. I think I did mention that the CEO of Chrysler at that time made many wiser decisions then Marketing the TC and the LeBaron at the same time especially with the price spread between the two carz. Having said that I'll add that I love my little '87 LeBaron turbo coupe and the kill factorz for me on owning a 16V TC 5 speed iz that I'm really not into drop topz and its getting VERY hard to find partz for, where as the 2.2L & 2.5L from Mother Mopar are like belly buttonz on the "Backup Girlz", Jer
AAAH, Commando, Please don't get the '87 thru' '95 Chrysler LeBaron'z confused with the Chrysler TC Maserati of '89 thru' '91 fame. Yes it waz not one of Lido's best Ideaz but this one az Will haz mentioned is the top of the heap if you're looking. This particular 16 valve TC 5 spd. sold new for ah tad over 25K Az most did. And yes Chrysler waz still trying to empty the warehouse where they had the unsold TCs stashed well into '94. I have a friend that was in the corporation at that time take a 5 spd. TC home for the weekend in '89 and ask me if I wanted to drive it so we went for ah spin around Dearborn(burb of Detroit) and after ah couple miles and thru' several lites he realized that I wasn't using the clutch 'cept for at the red lites and went ballistic on me lol. If I bring this thing back Monday and it's broken I'm in BIG DO DO! And This guy was ah grade 12 if that tells you anything. lol Those TCs are fine little carz pal even if this one iz priced at double what they bring in todayz world, Jer

All points well taken and agreed with gentlemen. I think I did mention that the CEO of Chrysler at that time made many wiser decisions then Marketing the TC and the LeBaron at the same time especially with the price spread between the two carz. Having said that I'll add that I love my little '87 LeBaron turbo coupe and the kill factorz for me on owning a 16V TC 5 speed iz that I'm really not into drop topz and its getting VERY hard to find partz for, where as the 2.2L & 2.5L from Mother Mopar are like belly buttonz on the "Backup Girlz", Jer
What that LeBaron needs, Jer, is the 2.4-Liter I4 PZEV M-Air Engine. Then throw a turbo on it.

What that LeBaron needs, Jer, is the 2.4-Liter I4 PZEV M-Air Engine. Then throw a turbo on it.
Commando, My Friend. After lookin' at the numberz on all the Rice Burnerz AND the Buick AND Mother Mopar with their own 2.4L, yes their pretty quick with that power plant. I guess I'm feelin' all warm 'n fuzzy 'cuz I didn't think to tell you 'bout my '83 Plymouth Scamp Pickup did I? 2250lb FWD pickup that started life az an 84 HP 2.2L W/ a 2bbl on it that the speedo only went to 85MPH. Now how ever, I've improved it with a 2.5L .40 over 190+ HP intercooled and turbo'd with a digital speedo that they say will top out some where 'round 255 MPH, and it's comin' together nicely and no, theirs no wingz or propeller on it. I just wanna have fun with ah few Ricerz in the neighborhood that think ah 6" muffler and ah boom box in the trunk make 'um go fast, I'll send pix when I'm done but no videos. You're just gonna havta trust me, lol

And you are going to take me for a ride in it. :thumbsup:
Your on Pal and I look forward to it. Only one request. Please do not stick your head out the window while we're up to speed. I've seen videos of dawgz doing that and it ain't pretty. Saw ah dawg in ah side car one time too that he even had gogglez to keep hiz eyez covered but hiz lipz were goin' nutz, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back