68 frame change

That's what I came up with, but the year doesn't make sense or where it was built. Going by the tag there isn't a lot of options. The only thing I can think of is if someone changed the inner fenders at some point. I need to check the vin # this evening.
So the vin # from the car DP27F8R349751 matches what the car should be, but I don't understand the tag. Am I not seeing something or maybe like I said before, that someone swapped the inner fender.

Now that I see the pic's of the underside I see what your up against, a donor section my be the best way to go.

Now that I see the pic's of the underside I see what your up against, a donor section my be the best way to go.
I do have a rear frame section complete. I just have to take a leap of faith in myself and dive in. I have actually started removing a few things underneath already. getting ready to take the axle out when I can get the chance. Then I can start cutting out the old frame.

Sorry, I do not have the link anymore, it was a few years ago...

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for the welcome. As I stated before I have a 68 Monaco vert that has some serious rust issues with the rear frame. I knew this when I bought it so no surprises. I am finding out that c-body parts aren't quite available as I thought they would be. I have been lurking in the background watching some threads, ( not trying to sound creepy ), and I have seen so many offers of help and encouragement. I didn't want to post anything until I was ready to start into this project. I am not going for a full resto, my budget and time is at times limited. I will definitely welcome any advice any one is willing to give.
thanks

41 318 2V V8
5 Torqueflite automatic
53 8>25-14 Whitewall tires

This is a Windsor built convertible. One of not many.

41 318 2V V8
5 Torqueflite automatic
53 8>25-14 Whitewall tires

This is a Windsor built convertible. One of not many.
Thanks, I found a site to put the vehicle vin # in and it kind of told me that is what it is. So is the fender tag more of a build tag? The color code on the tag says light green and there is some on the firewall where the previous paint job missed. Your info helps me clear up what it should be if nothing else but for my own information.
Thanks

Hey man, do you have a name for this place? Not that I'm in the market but it'd be rad to know esp as I'm in CT.

I'd guess he's talking about these guys: https://www.autorust.com They're in RI.

They used to sell a C-body kit, but have since discontinued it--as you can see here:
https://www.autorust.com/product/rear-frame-rail-rear-portion-c-body-mopar-1966-70-art-087-r/

Maybe you can call and see if they still have the design templates. Of course, these cap kits require that you have some solid material to weld to.

Thanks, I found a site to put the vehicle vin # in and it kind of told me that is what it is. So is the fender tag more of a build tag? The color code on the tag says light green and there is some on the firewall where the previous paint job missed. Your info helps me clear up what it should be if nothing else but for my own information.
Thanks

Your car is what the US guys would know as a Monaco 500. It's bucket seat/console car. Windsor pretty much batch built them usually in mid to late spring. Yours was built around April 22. They predominantly came with a 318-2v, torqueflite, power steering & brakes and an AM radio. A few of them got power windows and maybe a tiny handful were loaded and/or got a 383 or 440. I don't think any of them got a/c, but I'd have to check to be sure.

I think you're pretty safe in looking for the back end of any two door full size Dodge or even Plymouth, if you don't need to replaced the quarter panels. The frame rails and floor itself will be pretty much the same.

"Re-sale" red is a pretty common thing to do with a convertible, so I can see where a PO would have done that sort of half-assed colour changed. I think your car really is that odd shade of green and the "X" in P6X tells us it had a black interior.

There was a pretty sad looking '68 convertible just outside of Windsor for a few years. Did your car happen to come from SW Ontario?

Your car is what the US guys would know as a Monaco 500. It's bucket seat/console car. Windsor pretty much batch built them usually in mid to late spring. Yours was built around April 22. They predominantly came with a 318-2v, torqueflite, power steering & brakes and an AM radio. A few of them got power windows and maybe a tiny handful were loaded and/or got a 383 or 440. I don't think any of them got a/c, but I'd have to check to be sure.

I think you're pretty safe in looking for the back end of any two door full size Dodge or even Plymouth, if you don't need to replaced the quarter panels. The frame rails and floor itself will be pretty much the same.

"Re-sale" red is a pretty common thing to do with a convertible, so I can see where a PO would have done that sort of half-assed colour changed. I think your car really is that odd shade of green and the "X" in P6X tells us it had a black interior.

There was a pretty sad looking '68 convertible just outside of Windsor for a few years. Did your car happen to come from SW Ontario?
The car spent most of its life north of Toronto from 86 on. I don't know about prior to that. I happened to find it on kijiji about 15 minutes from me. It has every thing that you mentioned as well as power windows. The rear quarters have had some work done to them, but I'm not sure how much until I get into it. Yes, the paint job is pretty crappy, I can see the light green around some of the trim where it wasn't masked very well as well as on some of the firewall. I need to see the original green to help me decide what I will be painting later on.

would the monaco 500 have bottom trim
Yup. My first monaco was a Canadian car but not a 500 and had this awesome lower trim that was like the 500 trim but ended itself just above the bottom of the door.... so much easier on the sheet metal as far as crap entrapment is concerned.
004_4-jpg.88337

so I removed the rear axle today and got a better look at the front sections of the rear frame rails. Not much better than the rest of it. I think that I will cut out the floor pan before I remove the old frame. I'll need to find all the spot welds and cut them out. Is there a specific brill bit for doing this or do need a regular bit?

20170219_175504[1].jpg

20170219_175516[1].jpg

20170219_175628[1].jpg

20170219_175854[1].jpg

20170219_180035[1].jpg

so I removed the rear axle today and got a better look at the front sections of the rear frame rails. Not much better than the rest of it. I think that I will cut out the floor pan before I remove the old frame. I'll need to find all the spot welds and cut them out. Is there a specific brill bit for doing this or do need a regular bit?

There are drill bits specifically ground to drill out spot welds. It "can" be done with a regular drill bit, but these spot weld bits make life a whole lot easier.

Am I seeing a small rectangular brace inside the remnants of one of those frame rails?

There are drill bits specifically ground to drill out spot welds. It "can" be done with a regular drill bit, but these spot weld bits make life a whole lot easier.

Am I seeing a small rectangular brace inside the remnants of one of those frame rails?
Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can get one at the local carquest tomorrow. I think the brace you are referring to might be the bracket for the parking brake cables.

does anyone know if this belongs to my car or any dodge product. It looks like a courtesy light of some kind.

20170228_192402[1].jpg

20170228_192437[1].jpg

only did a little on the trunk, might have some more time later. If someone can give some thoughts about how the back end is supported, ok, not ok

20170228_191729[1].jpg

does anyone know if this belongs to my car or any dodge product. It looks like a courtesy light of some kind.

Does the white lens light up and the red lens is a reflector? If so, then I'm guessing it's a courtesy lamp assembly for a front door, mounted in the trim panel.

Back